Which is better 8000 club C points or 1000 BA Avios?

Discussion in 'Carlson | Club Carlson' started by daninstl, Mar 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife has 8900 orphan points in club Carlson which is ok but of little value to us since the properties we tend to stay at all require 10s of thousands. I most likely will just leave them in place and hope they grow. We had orginally built them up from misc promo deals in hopes for a 2012 US air grandslam hit but I started wondering if they are of more value to us as air miles. Checking the conversions I noticed the ability to exchange them for 250 Avios per 2k or about 1000 Avios for us. This might be a better question for the BA forum but it seems like a better value as Avios as we have a lot in that program. Which would you rather have?
    Also I have about 70k in club C points which at 50k the redemtion is higher at 8k Avios which is also tempting as that's enough for a domestic one way or almost enough for a short haul round trip. If i traded out the whole 70k it would be 10500 avios. Even the cheap airline tickets in exchange might be a Bette value than the hotel redemption. I know it depends on the property of course.
    I also looked into buying the club C points and converting them but club C only lets you buy 40k per year at about $280 which would convert to 5k Avios (plus the 280 credit card avios earned less any addl tax of fees) which is not really worth it unless you really need the Avios.

2. DealsRock

DealsRock Silver Member

Status Points:
    The better currency is the one you will redeem.

At face value I would personally put the CC pts at $32+ & the Avios at $15-$20 in value which depends highly on your redemption.

So how do you redeem 8k CC pts? Wait for another big Carlson promo where you'll get a lot of points (if one happens), credit a car rental or two to her acct, credit a stay to her acct (to get to 8k or 15k), or get the credit card.

Why would you want to stretch for CC pts? Orlando Radisson stays for 9k pts per night, for example. Last night free with the credit card & benefits worth more than the annual fee if you want to commit to staying at Carlson properties.

Why would you want to dump the value into Avios? You don't see yourself staying at the Carlson properties, even with future promos that may appear.

My humble opinions.

HaveMilesWillTravel and daninstl like this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good points. I'm just always looking for options and I value airline miles more than hotel points. My main hotel program is IHG and have a ton of points and status. Most of the CC properties I've redeemed at have been expensive and average (can you say Radisson Blu Rome). I do plan on keeping my 72k in CC and hope to build on that with a credit card churn later this year. Not so sure about leaving her points in place but they do seem to grow there with little effort so far. All of her points have been from misc non-stay promotions over the past 18 months.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why don't you move her points to your account? (free with Club Carlson, as far as I recall).

daninstl, DealsRock and viguera like this.
  5. DealsRock

DealsRock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I have done this as well. I shouldn't have responded early in the morning! (I'm now going to hide.)

daninstl and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great point (pardon the pun). That might be the best option for me. I've got 72k plus 8,900 will give me 80k plus an upcoming credit card churn will give me another 80k'ish. :p

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. silencer

silencer Active Member

Status Points:
    Orlando Radisson stays for 9k points per night??

8. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    There were 2 Radisson hotels at 9,000 pts (International Drive & Celebration). The Celebration one went up to a Cat 2 in points around the middle of last year. They both then changed categories on May 1st (cat 3 & 4 respectively).