Which insurance most car renters can just say no to

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by sobore, Dec 2, 2016.

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ce-most-car-renters-can-just-say-no/92463388/

Deciding whether to sign up for insurance at the car rental counter can be confusing. No one wants to be stuck with a big bill after an accident. But spending $20 or more each day for protection can be a waste of money.

If you do a little legwork before you leave home, you might just discover that between your current car insurance policy and your credit card company you already have all the coverage you need. Rental companies typically offer expensive insurance for all the risks car renters face. Here is how to protect yourself without breaking the bank.

[​IMG]

Read More: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ce-most-car-renters-can-just-say-no/92463388/

2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understand but that is typically when renting is made from within the home country. When travelling overseas / internationally, my personal advice if that either get the car rental insurance or a good travel insurance. That said, when I travel to the US, some states has mandatory rental insurance for non-locals / citizens where the choice is out of your hands. This does makes sense as non-locals can in theory just "disappear" (leave) and never to return.

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    You of course are entitled to your own opinion, but I disagree with necessity of purchasing expensive car rental coverage overseas. Some US credit cards provide very good insurance as part of their benefits.
    Perhaps the very best is Diners which grants primary coverage in just about everywhere you can rent a car including places restricted by other cards as mentioned above like Jamaica, Italy, New Zealand etc.
    Its the only reason I retain my Diners Club card.
    Over the years I have damaged three rentals Internationally and they have all settled painlessly by Diners. All I was required to do was fill in an accident report.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  4. JaneJohnson

JaneJohnson New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, really useful information!