Which IC Resort/Hotel to Stay At in July/August?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by GoodBoy, Jun 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. I'm travelling from the NY, with three kids, and my wife is travelling from Shanghai and we want to meet up at an IC resort that is kid friendly, considering Bali, any other suggestions? could be more than one, have about a month, July/August

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are terribly vague... :)

When are you doing this (weather obviously plays a huge factor on where you should go), how old are the kids, do you have a preference for city escapes or outright beach/nature stuff, etc?

GoodBoy likes this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Intercontinental Hua Hin where you have the best of both worlds: city & beach resort life ... plus the Thais love kids! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GoodBoy, viguera and uggboy like this.

4. July/August, kids are early teens and 7 yr old, beach/island/nature, not city

uggboy likes this.
  5. thks kalboz, looks great, do you have any idea of how it compares to Langkawi? same neck of the woods

uggboy, Kalboz and guinnessxyz like this.
  6. I agree with Kalboz's choice. I also think you should have your kids see BKK and the IC there. Worth a stop.

Which reminds me. Years ago the original IC in BKK was on a large property and had actually had a zoo as part of the overall property. My kids loved it. I don't remember where it was exactly in the City but it was a very nice oasis in those days. Timing would have been about 30 years ago. Anyone old enough to recall it?

uggboy, GoodBoy and Kalboz like this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good idea to to stay at the IC Bangkok as it is located right across the street from the Erawan Shrine in the heart of Bangkok with Chitlom BTS station right outside its front doors.

The 1960s era Siam Intercontinental Hotel sat on a 26 acre property in the heart of Bangkok which included a zoo. It was demolished in 2002 to make way for construction of the Siam Paragon mall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sorry GoodBoy ... I have never been to Langkawi :(

uggboy and GoodBoy like this.
  9. no problems, it's not far, i love Thailand, the Thai people and have had many trips up north and down south, but haven't done the Malaysian upper west coast and have heard great things about Langkawi, i wasn't thinking about it, but given your suggestion, it's close by and might be good to have some time there also:)

10. what an interesting roof line on the Siam property

11. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz, thx as always on anything Thailand. As much as I enjoy Siam Paragon and the much needed A/C, it is sad to see such a property taken out due to progress... so much local architecture and flavor is taken out by new modern buildings that it's hard to tell which city you're in throughout much of modernized Asia.

uggboy, Kalboz and GoodBoy like this.
  12. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to see such an interesting property as IC SIam go but I must admit I kind of love Siam Paragon's movie theater.

uggboy, Kalboz and GoodBoy like this.
  13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe it resembles an old Siam (Rattanakosin) Royal headgear designed by an American architect who studied with Frank Lloyd Wright.
    The entire Siam area is owned by the Thai Royal Family's estate, which consisted of the Sra Pathum Palace, its vast gardens, and an adjacent temple (Wat Padum Vanaram, a temple built over 100 years ago). 26 acres (110,000 m2), were leased by the Crown Property Bureau as the home to the old Siam Intercontinental Hotel, running tracks, and its gardens (zoo) in 1964. When the lease expired after 35+ years, upscale shopping complexes that are located on either side of Rama I Road were erected. The hotel was fully booked until its last day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Siam Center in 1973 was a small mall on the edge of the old Siam IC Hotel​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

uggboy and GoodBoy like this.
  14. thks kalboz, fascinating history:)

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  15. Ah yes brings back very good memories of the late 70's and early 80's when all RTW trips started at the IC and then a trip to pick up very cheap J class tickets from the plethora of TA's who worked the currency deals on tickets that originated in BKK. It was a very fine hotel. Thanks for the memories Kalboz

Kalboz, uggboy and GoodBoy like this.
  16. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back to the originally scheduled programming ;) ... I heard that the Intercontinental Bali & Sydney are both great & kids friendly.

GoodBoy likes this.
  17. True but both are sort of out of the way while Thailand is just a short hop from PVG where his wife is.

Kalboz and GoodBoy like this.
  18. have been considering Bali and Bora Bora, Sydney is our old home, but it's winter and after winter here, notwithstanding the kids pushing for a visit to Aus, it would have to be in the north for the temperate weather, i was looking at the rainfall in Langkawi, and August it dumps about 20 inches, so factoring in for that too:)

Kalboz and guinnessxyz like this.
  19. yes, from that perspective, but we are four pax so from that angle closer to here would be more convenient but i do love that part of the world

Kalboz and guinnessxyz like this.
  20. Here is where?

Kalboz and GoodBoy like this.
  21. New York

Kalboz likes this.
  22. JFK/IST/BKK? easy peasy
    JFK/SIN/BKK easier peasier longer on one tube

GoodBoy likes this.