Which IC in Tokyo is easiest to access from Haneda (late)?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by TheBeerHunter, Nov 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am taking advantage of the discounted biz class redemptions on JAL from SFO later this month to head back to Tokyo for a few days. This flight comes into Haneda, which I haven't flown into before. Additionally, it gets in after the last airport limo bus leaves (slated arrival of somewhere around 22:40). I'm trying to decide which InterContinental to book, considering I'll be tired and alone, it'll be late, I don't want to blow a lot of money on a taxi.

Initially, I was thinking Tokyo Bay was the best bet simply due to proximity, but it's looking like The Strings is actually the best choice since the Keikyu railway runs directly between Haneda and Shinagawa station.

Is the hotel easy to find from the station?

uggboy and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I landed late at HND and was staying at the ANA InterContinental Tokyo alone and it would have been very easy to get to, but the subway actually closed late at night so I had to hop out and take a taxi, which wasn't really all that expensive since I made it most of the way on the trains.

uggboy and TheBeerHunter like this.
  3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, JohnDeere19. Funny, the ANA is the only property I've stayed at (multiple times now) and from my figuring, seems the most convoluted to get to from HND! Of course, "convoluted" is relative.

What time was your late landing at HND? My understanding is the trains will be running so that won't be an issue; it's just a matter of what's the most straightforward.

uggboy likes this.
  4. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    Id suggest strings unless price is a concern

uggboy and TheBeerHunter like this.
  5. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did end up booking the Strings. It'll be my first stay there. Looking forward to it, will report back!

uggboy likes this.
  6. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Checked in to The Strings this evening. Really, I don't think any other IC in Tokyo could be easier to get to from Haneda -- straight shot on the Keikyu line to Shinagawa station, and the hotel is on station maps and well signed so you really can't miss it.

What a beautiful hotel! Small so it has a boutique feel to it. The rooms are small (I was upgraded to a club room from the cheapest available) but well laid out and nice touches such as lights in the closet that turn on as you approach, a pillow for the bath, a bath tablet, etc. I am impressed.

I've read of RAs being unhappy that club room includes minibar here, "so whats the benefit for RAs?" etc., but I am really quite impressed with this hotel. Might be my new fave in Tokyo (I usually stay at the ANA) even if this is the smallest room I have ever been upgraded to :D I have a fabulous view of the Rainbow Bridge out my window.

uggboy likes this.
  7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Knew someone else who had originally booked the ANA IC but given her flight arrival time at HND she changed to the Strings. Caught the last train to Shinigawa and walked over to the Strings. It's also the easiest to access from NRT if you take the JR Express, either directly to Shinigawa, or with a single connection at Tokyo Central. ANA is probably the most difficult IC to get to unless you do the LimoBus from either airport. Hoping rail connections will improve to/from HND given the late arrival/departure slots given to NAmerican airlines.

There's a brewpub down towards the harbour from the Strings. And I am sure TheBeerHunter knows about Popeye's!

TheBeerHunter likes this.