Which Hyatt in NYC?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by zshanlon, Jul 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Im headed to NYC the last week of July and the Andaz on 5th only has twin beds available for reward stays so i'm looking else where. Wall St is too far down town for me so which property would you suggest?

I've stayed at the Hyatt 48Lex and its perfectly nice but the rooms are small and i'm only Platinum so I don't get the sweet breakfast at Lexington Brass...

2. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like you have a good grasp on the NYC Hyatts. I liked the Grand Hyatt. The club was very nice, though as a Plat I'm not sure how that would play out for you. I recently stayed at both 48 Lex and Grand Hyatt and liked 48 slightly better, but that doesn't mean the Grand wasn't nice. You mentioned reward stay, so I would lean strongly toward Lex in that case since it is just 15K points.

Jubileesmom and zshanlon like this.
  3. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lex it is then...unless you think there is a better cash and points option for SPG?

mommypoints likes this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Grand has thin walls, the renovation may be nice but I will not stay there again.

Jubileesmom likes this.
  5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really enjoyed my stay at Andaz Fifth Ave. Will be staying at Andaz Wall Street in a few weeks.

6. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't stayed there in years, but I'm not a fan of GH NYC either.

Did you check to see if there's any SPG C&P availability for your dates?

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I didn't have trouble with noise in the room, but just didn't warm up to the property. It's fine, just doesn't excite.

8. TravelMusing

TravelMusing Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had an awesome stay at the Andaz Wall Street the past weekend. It's so close to the South Ferry sea port. Less than 5 mins walk.

Transportation is very convenient, and the 2 and 3 express trains to mid town/Times Square takes less than 15 mins...

It's my property of choice going forward. I get all the excitement of midtown, and the quiet of a huge room in Financial District!

From NYC and TAHKUCT like this.
  9. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Completely agree with you. Loved that property.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using milepoint

LIH Prem and TravelMusing like this.
  10. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    There must be two different Andaz Wall Street hotels and the one I stayed at was different from the one that the above two posters were at!

To the OP: I am not a huge proponent of any of the current 4 Hyatt choices in NYC. Unfortunately, I'd suggest you look at alternatives other than Hyatt. If you happen to be a diamond, I would say that the GH will try hardest to make you happy, but be prepared to complain to get what you want.

11. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    What kind of problems have you experienced with the wall street property?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using milepoint

12. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    At Andaz Wall Street, I got the suite that is not a suite(just a larger room), I got ignored several times when trying to get attention of the "hosts," and I asked several members of staff to have the GM call me and never heard from ANYONE in management. Finally, like 5th Avenue, I had trouble sleeping because of the absence of blackout shades or curtains.

Then there's the usual NYC Andaz stuff: inadequate closet space and rooms laid out inefficiently.

Others may like this place but I would not go back.

13. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at both Andaz 5th and Wall street and both properties had blackout shades which you would operate by a switch by a bed.

If you do not like contemporary style, then (IMHO) Andaz is not for you.

14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I do really enjoy Andaz Wall. The only thing I have against it is see-through doors on the showers. Makes it tough to have adjoining rooms when I travel with kids. Other than that I really like the property.

15. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, they had things they called blackout shades but they aren't.

And aside from that, my biggest complaint is not with the style, but with the service and the management, right up to the GMs.

16. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suppose this shouldn't be a surprise, considering that I lived there for years back in my grad school years. NYC hotels are pricey!!! :mad: It just hurts my finger to hit a trigger on that ~$500/night room at Andaz 5th (+14% tax nonetheless!).

Luckily travelocity is running some discount on select NYC properties, so I was able to BRG it. But still ...

Just ranting ...

17. snugglening

snugglening Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just bust out betterbidding and priceline $200/night is is still high but compared to $500 that nice