Which hotel in Beijing?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by brodyf, May 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm heads to Beijing for the first time in a few weeks. Which SPG hotel would you recommend? I'm considering the St Regis or the Westin Chonyang. Both are similar price.

uggboy, traveltoomuch and Newscience like this.
  2. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    St.Regis was quite nice - great breakfast, pleasant hotel, and a nice suite. It is in a bit of a quiet area (there is a metro stop nearby, but beyond that taxis are convenient).

3. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did both last week. I would say it depends on if you have to be in the area of the Westin Chaoyang or not. If you do, then it wins on the convenience factor, if location isn't an issue, definitely the St. Regis. The property is half rooms, half suites it seems, and the Statesman Suite seems to be a pretty standard SPG Plat upgrade. I thought the staff was a little better, as was the Breakfast (both places give Plats free breakfast in addition to Points). The St. Regis will also get you unlimited bottled water courtesy of their butler service.

uggboy and brodyf like this.
  4. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't stayed at the St. Regis but I believe @Anglo Large Clawed Otter had a less than stellar experience at that property. The location of it isn't bad, though. I'm currently at the Ritz Carlton Financial Street, and I can give you loads of details about it and the Westin that is across the street. The Westin in the financial district is half hotel and half residences, and it has a really great Italian restaurant. Both are within a 15 minute walk of the Beijing subway and you can get to most of the big sites easily enough.

uggboy and brodyf like this.

5. Has anyone got any reviews for http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3565&language=en_US

uggboy likes this.
  6. Anglo Large Clawed Otter
    Original Member

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Gold Member

Status Points:
    That St. Regis is tired and worn out, and definitely not up to the standards of most St. Regis properties I've visited.

Thomask, uggboy and brodyf like this.
  7. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all. I had heard the St Regis wasn't quite up to standards of other St Regis properties but I guess having a butler beats not. I'll give it a try.

uggboy and (deleted member) like this.
  8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Westin Chaoyang and consider it quite a nice property, it has a vey good executive lounge which is never crowded and you also have the option of having breakfast there or from the downstairs buffet (one of the largest spreads I have ever seen in any hotel)
    We were upgraded to nice corner suite (with one of those massaging recliners) and it was a short walk to the subway.
    If the butler thingy is your scene then the St Regis it is.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    brodyf and uggboy like this.
  9. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Near the St. Regis is the new W Hotel if you like to try something more modern. I personally prefer the Westin Chaoyang over the St Regis as well.
    The St Regis and the W Hotel has several western restaurants near by.

satman40 and brodyf like this.
  10. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    To be fair this is the only St. Regis I've used, so I'm not in position to say if others are better or worse.

11. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've tried to stay at several W hotels. Unfortunately I've come to the conclusion that I am just not 'cool' enough to stay there.

12. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wound up staying at the Westin Chonyang. I got the upgrade to a very nice corner suite. The Westin Club breakfast was fabulous. I'd certainly come back here next time in Beijing.

satman40, Thomask and Pizzaman like this.
  13. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the location a lot and the view from the corner rooms especially at night.

brodyf and satman40 like this.