Which Hilton Property in Dubai?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by jgg630, Feb 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Planning a trip to Dubai in May. I am Hilton gold and noticed there are 4 Hilton hotels in Dubai. Any recommendations? Going for pleasure.

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, there's one in Sharjah (a different emirate, but it's very small and very close), three in Dubai, and a Conrad that's coming soon. Dubai Creek is the most central of them, though you'll still need to cab everywhere. I stayed in that area (at the Park Hyatt) for the last Dubai DO. I haven't been to any of the Hilton properties, though.

3. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I was looking at jumeirah Hilton. Are there any hotels you would recommend that are close to markets and tourist areas?

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cabs are pretty cheap in Dubai relatively speaking. Also, things are quite spread out there.

5. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok thanks

6. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Dubai Creek Hilton last summer and the Dubai Jumeirah Beach a few weeks ago. I was going back/forth with whether to stay at the Jumeirah beach property or the adjoining Residences property, and opted for the beach property in the end.

I've also stayed at the Royal Meridien which is at the other end of Jumeirah Beach last year.

If pleasure brings you to town, I'd recommend the beach property. The place is well maintained, the pool is nice, and the beach is very nice with ample places to sit/lie down. I had a suite which included airport transfers and executive lounge access. The executive lounge was awesome --open bar in the evening, and enough to eat in the morning and the evening to take the place of a meal elsewhere. Liquor is super-super-super expensive here so having several free cocktails in the lounge is the smart way to go.

The resort was small enough to get in/around quickly but big enough where you didn't feel crowded. I ate one dinner in their Italian restaurant, supposedly the best Italian in Dubai, and it was quite good...and reasonably priced for Dubai standards.

It's located within "the Walk", so you can walk around to different shops/places to eat. A $3US taxi ride will also get you to to the Marina Mall ...and about $15-20US will get you to the Mall of the Emirates if you're anxious to shop.

I also liked the Dubai Creek Hilton property --service, including the hotel manager, was amazing...and the rooms there are much more updated/modern than the beach. And the rooftop pool is a treat, providing great views of the Creek area...out to the distant "downtown" area with the Burj Khalifa Tower. But while close to the airport and to the Creek, it's really removed from where most of the "action" is in Dubai. Taxis are very affordable here, and the Hilton provides a 1x or 2x / day free shuttle between the Creek property and the Beach property...although I never took it.

I found the Hilton Jumeirah beach property to be just as nice as the Meridien property...and a better value for my dollar.

A big watch-out that I have for the future of the Hilton beach property is that two huge complexes are being built on both sides of it on the beach....when I was there 2 weeks ago, they were simply working on the foundation, but once those towers start going up, it'll take away most of the nice views the Hilton beach rooms have.

Anyways, feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the place.

desamo likes this.
  7. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going in May as well and had the same question. I've read alot of info on FT and it echo's what Weatherboy said regarding the service at the Creek. I'm leaning toward the Creek but as I'm just beginning my search I need to also consider about other properties, SPG, PC etc. I'd like to be able to walk to the souks but it's cool that taxis are affordable.

8. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We settled on the Hilton Jerumiah Beach since it will be 2 women traveling by ourselves. We thought security would be better at resort. Would like info on things to do over there.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great timing, I am looking at Dubai hotels at the moment, too. Still thinking whether I should go with Hilton to burn down my account to near zero or stay at the Radisson Blue at the creek and take advantage of the free award night with the credit card.

10. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at Hilton Jumeirah Beach multiple times and highly recommend it. The location at the Walk is great, and the hotel looks well after Golds and Diamonds. The Executive lounge there is excellent.

11. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Look's like its the Creek for me as the JB is 3 X the points each night. No pts+ $ is available for either property and I'm such a tightwad I'd never pay those rates for just me. (I'm going solo this time). I hear they treat diamond well so I'm game.

12. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The JB property does its best to upgrade diamonds to suites...whereas the creek may get you into a corner view room. But for me, location is key. There's nothing you can really walk to around the Creek property...you need to taxi out of that area to the sites. With the beach property, there's obviously the beach...and the whole Walk you can walk.

If I wanted to stick close to the airport or had business nearby to deal with, I'd stay at the Creek. If I was looking for a holiday with some stuff to do within walking distance... plus the ability to camp out on a nice beach, I'd chose the Beach.

13. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. Any places you would recommend to eat?

14. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Friday Brunch is the "must do" activity to indulge in if you're there on their day of rest aka Friday.

And the world's best brunch (not just Dubai, but definitely the world) is Traiteur at the Park Hyatt on the Creek. Absolutely stunning. I've been to it twice, and I'd go back again and again.
    http://dubai.park.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-dubai-park/news-details.jsp?newsId=41525923&hyattprop=yes

If you're a foody and want to try some other local traditions, I'd also recommend an afternoon Tea at the Burj al Arab. Delicious food, great teas/drinks, albeit pricey.

Food is great all around, it's going to be tough to not have a good meal. I'd just avoid the American chains (PF Changs, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, TGIFridays, etc.)...you can visit those anywhere, so stick with the local eateries there.

Mike Reed likes this.
  15. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Friday brunch was on our list along with camel ride and sand dune surfing. Anything else we must do?

16. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    They actually had camel rides on the beach by the Hilton Jumeirah. I would definitely recommend some type of visit to the desert --I did "dune smashing" in 4x4s, but I have friends that did the desert safari and sand "skiing/boarding" that recommend it. There's also indoor skiing at the world's largest indoor ski resort...which would be quite the novelty. You should also ride up to the Burj Tower -the world's tallest- although the observation deck is about 30 floors below the top. But you still get great views there (tip: reserve a ticket to the top online --you save big $$$$ by doing that versus buying there.) The only other thing I'd try that I haven't yet is Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi. It's not thhhattt far ...about a 60-90 minute ride from the 'Creek area, but it looks like a lot of fun.

17. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. If you think of anything else we'd appreciate it. Anything a couple of women traveling alone shouldn't do besides obvious things?

18. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I felt the place was completely safe, so if safety is a concern, I wouldn't worry.

They are strict with dress & behavior, so remember: no public displays of affection, no exposed shoulders, and/or no exposed knees (except pool/beach side.) And no public intoxication. (Although at their liquor prices, you'd need to be a millionaire to be drunk :D )

I could be getting my countries out of wack, but I think they have separate lines and cabs for women wishing to take a taxi at the airport.

Otherwise, there's nothing else that stood out. It's a clean, modern, safe place...you'll have a great time!

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just got back from Dubai. Stayed at the Hilton Dubai Creek for four nights on an Axon award. They upgraded me one room category, but not to the executive floor. The room did have a nice view of the creek and overall was nicely furnished and very comfortable and large. They did grant me access to the lounge (I have Gold status), which was a bit unexpected and made me happy. Overall the staff was very friendly.

Echoing what others have said, I loved the rooftop pool. We took the free shuttle (11am... bit late, IMO) to the Hilton Jumeirah one morning to spend a day (or what you get when the return shuttle leaves at 4pm) at the beach. Didn't particularly like what I saw at the beach resort. Crowded beach filled with umbrellas and beach chairs. Construction crane from neighboring property looming overhead. And, can you believe it, rain! Overall I thought my choice of the Creek property was the right one for us.

The Union metro station is in reasonable walking distance (at least this time of the year, when it's not 120+ degrees). But I found the metro somewhat disappointing: modern, clean, but not enough trains and thus very packed trains. And not enough handles to hold on to. And the distances aren't to be underestimated. Standing in the metro like sardines from the Emirates Mall all the way to Union was no fun.

We did book a desert trip, alas not one with camel riding and belly dancing, but rather to the Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve (http://www.ddcr.org/en/). It did include a 4-wheel drive through the dunes.

k2o and Weatherboy like this.
  20. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the 1st Dubai Do, the 3rd is coming up in June, I stayed a night at the Dubai Creek Hilton before shifting to what was kinda the central hotel, the Park Hyatt. I really like it, and, despite the very hot weather and the warning of the heat in walking there by the concierge who gave me a map, I walked to the souks. Bought some wonderful Persian saffron, which is much stronger than the Spanish stuff. Modern room overlooking the Creek, which was also fun to walk around.

Yes, the brunch at the Park Hyatt is amazing. I’ve recently heard from some of the other Dubai Do participants who’re local that the one at the Westin is even more amazing. Hhhhmmmmm.

21. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking for something to do in Dubai on a Sunday. Our flight doesn't leave until midnight so trying to find something to do all day.

Thanks

22. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it as easy in Dubai as it is in Europe to find an ATM at airport or should I got money here before I go? Thanks

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's easy, don't worry.

24. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks

25. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just returned from my trip and loved Dubai. Hilton Jumeriah Beach Resort is really nice hotel with helpful staff.

uggboy and Weatherboy like this.