Which Hilton property in Bangkok?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Jason, Apr 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're stopping over in Bangkok for the 1st time on our way to Koh Samui, we'll be there 2 nights. I've read a lot of reviews here and on Tripadvisor, but am having a hard time deciding between the Millenium Hilton and the Conrad. Has anyone stayed at both and recommend one over another?

It's a fairly quick trip. We'll get in late, tour most of the next day, probably spend the evening at or around the hotel, then fly out the next day after a little more touring....
    We're Diamond members, so we're looking forward to a room upgrade and breakfast.

Thank you!

uggboy, iolaire and Kalboz like this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jason, more information is needed here :)

"We" meaning you and your significant other, family, business partner, or ...? It all depends on how you want to spend your two days in Bangkok, and if this is your first visit to Thailand.

I have stayed at the Conrad Bangkok and was not impressed (I was not a Diamond though). Others might disagree with me. You will definitely get the breakfast, lounge access, and most likely an upgrade at both. But, IMO, the Hilton's location on a bend at a majestic river cannot be beat, especially for a first time visitor.

uggboy and iolaire like this.
  3. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it's me and my wife for our 1st time to Thailand. Most of our time will be spent on guided tours (since we thought that was likely the best way to see a lot in a short time). We get in around 8pm and begin the first day of touring from 8am to 6pm. No real plans for the rest of the evening. The next day we checkout and tour from 8am to 6pm, when we're dropped off at the airport to our flight to Koh Samui.

Thanks again!

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a 2-night stay, I'd definitely go for the Millennium Hilton ... we stayed at the Royal Orchid Sheraton across the river and the location is amazing. Plus, for evenings there is 360 Lounge or other venues in the hotel itself, and there are several riverside restaurants on both sides of the hotel (Yok Yor Restaurant & Be My Guest on the south side). Great authentic Thai market (Klongsan Plaza) right next door for local street food and other vendors. You can also take the cross-river ferry (for THB 3 = 10 cents per person) 3-minutes trip to River City mall for more shops and restaurants.

5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would second Kalboz's statement. We stayed at the Conrad in Bangkok and while it was nice, included breakfast and we got to check off another Conrad on our list, the location was not very convenient to where things were happening in Bangkok. It's probably more of a corporate / political hotel since it's kind of near several embassies in Bangkok.

uggboy, Jason, iolaire and 1 other person like this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    update, i've now moved on to planning on paying for a three star hotel to save my Hilton points for a more expensive location
    Based on the comments in this thread I'm now considering this hotel over the Conrad. I posted some questions on the main Millennium thread about upgrades and rooms as Hilton gold. Please feel free provide feedback over there! Thanks

7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at the Conrad in January, and my wife was thrilled with it. The decor and design and quality of the bedding are first rate, and the food in the lounge was excellent. We're Diamond, and while we got lounge access, I don't think we got much of an upgrade in room, but even the standard rooms are stunningly beautiful. You can have breakfast in the hotel restaurant and the choices are staggering. It's about a 10 minute walk to the Ploen Chit MTS station. I find being on the MTS to be better than being on the river, especially the far side.

We haven't stayed at the Millenium, so can't compare that, but we think the Conrad is far superior to the Grand Hyatt or Plaza Athenee

uggboy, Kalboz, Jason and 1 other person like this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to disagree with you here as our stays at both the Grand Hyatt Erawan or LM Plaza Athenee were far more superior to our stay at the Conrad Bangkok. Even our stay at the Four Points Bangkok was more pleasant than our Conrad stay despite of the fact 4P was the only Bangkok SPG property that did not upgrade us to a suite, but our rate at the 4P was around $75/night versus $175/night at the Conrad.

... and, hence the term YMMV! :)

IDGflygirl, uggboy and iolaire like this.
  9. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the past 5 months, I had 2 stays each at Plaza Athenee, 2 at Conrad, and 1 at Grand Hyatt. I have Diamond with HHonors and Hyatt and Platinum with SPG. Here's my experience:

Plaza Athenee - once upgraded to suite, once just standard room, told no suites when asked. In both cases service was excellent and friendly and rates were the lowest (I think I did cash + points both times). Breakfast could be taken either in the lounge or the restaurant, with the restaurant having a much bigger selection. Restaurant breakfast is good, but not quite as good as Conrad's. 2-hour cocktail/appetizers in the lounge evenings. I felt the hotel smelled a little bit musty, covered by air freshener.

Hyatt - 1 stay, no upgraded room (upgrade to executive level but no suite). Service was friendly. Breakfast in lounge only, selection more limited than others. Cocktail/appetizer in lounge in evenings but food choices more limited than others. Hotel a little dated.

Conrad - 2 stays, no suite either stay, only upgrade was to executive level. Service felt colder, more indifferent. Breakfast either in lounge or 2nd floor restaurant. Restaurant had highest quality, largest selection. 2 hour cocktail/appetizer in evenings with largest food selection. Room decor was the best of the three.

So here are my rankings:
    Upgrades - Plaza Athenee best
    Friendliness - PA & GH > Conrad
    Breakfast - Conrad > PA > GH
    Evening apps - Conrad > PA > GH
    Decor, feel - Conrad > GH > PA
    Price PA was by far the best value. I found comparable prices at GH & Conrad - GH is only Hyatt property in BKK so maybe higher prices because all Hyatt travelers pick it. There are more Hilton properties
    Location GH is most convenient. PA is closer to the BTS than the Conrad, and you can walk through inner streets.

I wouldn't hestitate to stay at any of them, and BKK has some of the best hotel values in the world

uggboy, iolaire, Jason and 1 other person like this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good breakdown Seacarl, thanks! Now, here is how I see it based on my stays. There are many central location hotels that offer great views of parks and other settings combined with excellent service and elite recognition. I have stayed at the following and will rate them in order of my experience and preference:

Grand Hyatt Erawan: Located right in the center of Bangkok and if you get a room/suite with numbers XX01-XX11, you will have great views of the Polo Club or the Ratchaprasong intersection. Great Diamond recognition especially if you use your suite upgrades. Great Grande lounge with equally great breakfast and good happy hour benefits.

St. Regis Bangkok: Facing the Polo Club with expansive views of Bangkok and direct access to skytrain placing the entire city under your fingertips. If you are a SPG Platinum, there is a good chance you will get an Astor Suite facing the Polo Club. The Metropolitan Suites are nice but facing the back (many high-rise buildings next-door looking directly into the Met Suite). No SPG lounge but the best breakfast in town and happy hour benefits at Decanter.

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit: Excellent location right at the Asok intersection with direct access to skytrain and 100-m to a subway station. Great Platinum elite recognition and Grande Suite upgrades possibility. Preferably, get XX02 Grande Suite which are facing the Queen Sirikit park and "mini" lake. Adjacent to the shopping areas - Terminal 21. No SPG lounge but great breakfast and happy hour benefits at any hotel venue.

JW Marriott: I have had around 120 night stays at this awesome property which is located right in the middle of everything. Great hotel and facilities but stingy on suite upgrades and 200-m in either direction to skytrain stations. The best lounge in town with good breakfast and happy hour benefits.

Royal Orchid Sheraton: Awesome riverside location and excellent elite recognition at a huge discount. Complementary shuttle boat to the nearest skytrain station and two riverboat shuttle piers at both sides of this property for easy access to the Grand Palace, Wat Po, Wat Arun, etc.

Renaissance Bangkok: Great location and views in mid-town next to skytrain station. Great elite recognition and good chance of suite upgrades. But their suites are not really suites, just over-sized rooms. Attentive service and nice lounge with good breakfast and happy hour benefits.

Plaza Athenee Royal Meridien: Great location on Embassy row (Wireless Rd.) with 100-m to skytrain station and around 1/2 KM walk to lower Sukhumvit where shopping, dining, etc. Good breakfast and great property but suite upgrades are not as forthcoming. Amazing views of the embassies and their park-like settings.

Westin Grande Sukhumvit: Located across the street from the SGS with easy access to skytrain, subway, shopping, dining, etc. but lacking on substance and recognition. Good pool but small SPG lounge. Avoid unless given free room or next to free.

Le Meridien: Never stayed there due to its out-of-the way location, and not being close to skytrain station, but close to night market and many dining options. Have read and heard many good reports on how good this property is and its great elite treatment. See more here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/pointmetotheplane/2012/06/06/le-meridien-bangkok-trip-report/

Conrad Bangkok: Unless you have status with HHonors, I'd skip this property.

I'd also avoid Swissotel Nai Lert Park Hotel (where the Hollywood star David Carradine past away), the Ambassador hotel, any Amari hotel, and all hotels located on Soi Nana.

11. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the Le Meridien not wthin walk of the Silom station? I haven't stayed there, but have heard it's good.

Is the St. Regis really superior to the Conrad, with status? I've been disappointed at other St Regis properties

12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Le Meridien Bangkok is located on Surawong Rd. and to get to Silom Rd. (Sala Daeng BTS station), you have to travel through Patpong and its action-filled sois.

St. Regis was much superior to the Conrad, hands down. We had a 5-nights stay in January and were upgraded to an Astor suite facing the Royal Polo Club. We burned 48K SPG points which included all Platinum benefits (welcome amenity, suite upgrade, the best breakfast in Bangkok, happy hour, etc.), a bargain! See my review starting here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/the-st-regis-bangkok-master-thread.7705/page-3#post-1222724

IDGflygirl and uggboy like this.
  13. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great review - Clearly I will add the St Regis for my next Bangkok trip!

14. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is very helpful! I would add that the spa at the Grand Hyatt Erawan is one of the best I've ever been to in the world!

The Le Meridien is one of my favorite LM's I've stayed in. SPG Platinum recognition is great and even though it's not as central, I found the location good for a weekend stay. The night market is literally across the street, there's a Jim Thompson House store nearby and the food options are great as Kalboz says.

uggboy, iolaire and Kalboz like this.
  15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint VeryGoodPoints :) Thank you for the input about GHE & Le Meridien Bangkok!

VeryGoodPoints has an interesting blog with today's entry being 25 Nights in Thailand in one suitcase ... an interesting topic on its own.

VeryGoodPoints and uggboy like this.
  16. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I'm happy to be joining the MilePoint Community and thanks for the blog mention.