Which Hilton family hotel in Washington DC for a family vacation

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Chicago Paladin, Apr 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Chicago Paladin

Chicago Paladin Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi!

Going to Washington DC for a wedding first out in the suburbs but then want to spend memorial weekend in touristy DC. Which of the hilton properties would you recommend that is convenient to the sights. We'll have a car for the first part but happy to try and ditch the car and use public transportation when in the city. There will be me + the wife + a 2 year old, so space is good as is convenience. Price not too important - but a consideration, might use points.

Hilton Capitol?
    Washington Hilton?
    Embassy Suites Downtown?
    Embassy Suites Convention Center?
    Etc.

Thanks in advance!

uggboy likes this.
  2. YankeeTravlr
    Original Member

YankeeTravlr Gold Member

Status Points:
    What all are you hoping to see while here? My recommendation may vary, depending upon what you're most focused on. Also, how far are you willing to walk to use the metro - a block? Two? Five?

My initial recommendations would probably be either the Embassy Suites or the Hampton Inn at the Convention Center, or the Hilton Garden Inn. With the Convention Center locations, you could very easily take the Circulator bus down towards the museums / monuments.

Definitely ditch the car. Memorial day weekend is just nuts here, what with Rolling Thunder going on, and all...

uggboy likes this.
  3. Chicago Paladin

Status Points:
    Yankee Travlr:

Ah - Hadn't even thought about using the Circulator. I've been to DC a couple times and have used a combination of the metro and cabs. I've actually also stayed at the Embassy Suites at the Convention Center - I remember it was somewhat of a trek to the metro, but pretty good for the restaurants of chinatown. Just not having to pay for the rental + hotel parking would pay for the taxi rides.

Any comments on the Hilton Capitol, Washington Hilton, Downtown Embassy Suites?

Thanks for the heads up on Rolling Thunder!

uggboy likes this.
  4. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't stayed at a Hilton Property in a while, however, when I did use Hilton's in DC, my preferred properties
    • Washington Hilton - Big rooms and good treatment of Diamond members. If you have a car you can save some parking money by finding off street parking. Make sure to watch the signage though. It's near Dupont Circle and lots of restaurants to chose. The walk to the train at Dupont is 5-10 depending how fast you walk.
    • Capital Hilton - Old school but have decent sized rooms. and close to two train stations. Yet there isn't much around as with Dupont Circle.
    • Embassy Suites (22nd Street) - Good recognition and lots of families stay here. 5-10 walk to the Dupont Circle or Georgetown areas.
    I suggest the Embassy Suites then the Washington Hilton.

In regards to transit, I suggest going out very early so you can secure parking otherwise, take the train.

uggboy likes this.
  5. Chicago Paladin

Status Points:
    Kennected - thanks! Always appreciate insight into how properties treat Diamonds.

uggboy likes this.
  6. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Capitol Hilton treats elites especially well, though it is unfortunately extremely dated.

I love the Embassy Suites Convention Center, as it is a relatively new property in a great location to get just about anywhere.

uggboy likes this.
  7. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm always a fan of the tree tree on Rhode Island. You can sometimes get really good rates there.

uggboy likes this.
  8. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at Embassy Suites on 22nd Street, it was a great stay. I was a Diamond on that stay, we received the corner suite, plenty of room, we felt very comfortable. You can catch a cab to most of attractions at D.C for about $10. Also this area is close to Dupont Circle, great restaurants selection, and it is quiet residential feel to it, so you won't be bothered by street noise at night.

Best,

PedroNy

uggboy likes this.