Which Hawaiian island is best for a grown-family getaway?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Loxy, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. We are planning a family vacation of adults (aged 24-64) to Hawaii in February. We want to get a place big enough for 6-8 people for a month. What's the best bang for our buck?

misman likes this.
  2. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well... that's an open ended question if I've ever seen one! Some of our Hawaiian natives I'm sure will chime in. I've only been to Oahu and Hawai'i. They are completely different islands. From talking to others the same is true for the other islands. They each have their own personality. The big island has amazing variations of climate, but there are very few beaches. Oahu has a lot of beaches and historical significance with Pearl Harbor, but is crowded at times.

Perhaps if you gave us an idea of what you and your family would like to do while on the islands (the happiest state in the Union according to several surveys) we can give more focused suggestions.

3. Fair enough!
    The open-endedness is also why I am having so many problems figuring out where to go. With 12 people, the range of interests is from laying on the beach to extreme sports to golfing...

We wouldn't have lots of cars, so somewhere easy to walk around - to the beach - to the store...

Luckily, it doesn't have to be kid-friendly and frankly, if I had my way there'd be as few children as possible.

I've been to Hawai'i and Maui - but as a solo traveller, my interests are far different.

And maybe somewhere not in a giant condo tower. That seems so boring to me.

4. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not a Hawaiian native either, but have been to Oahu, Maui, and Kauai. Vacation Rentals By Owner (VRBO) may be an answer. You can save $ by BBQing if everyone can agree what to eat. I think every island has a Costco or two which helps if you go that route. I agree each island has different things to offer. I think the biggest factor is going to be how the majority wants to spend their time. Does anyone belong to a hotel program and have any status? Lots of things to consider. Everyone should have a good time no matter which island you pick.

JasonH likes this.
  5. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did I miss something here? Hawai'i? I've seen two people reference it in this thread. Color me [​IMG]

6. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    What confuses you exactly? We must remedy that as soon as possible. [​IMG]

7. Are you not familiar with the Big Island?

8. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would second VRBO. I scored a wonderful apartment in Paris 8th for a summer for the cost of 2 weeks in a dive hotel. The other things that this gets you, at least in some areas, is more of a local feel. Perhaps not so much in the islands as in Paris, but still worthwhile.

What about island hopping? And thoughts to spending a few days in several islands?

9. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope, not at all!

ETA: Just looked it up. Never knew that!

10. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    My favorite island by far is Kauai. But when my family went to Hawaii, we landed in Maui. It seemed to have the right mix of beaches, hikes, shopping, restaurants, etc. for a similar sized group (also all adults).
    And I have found most of my rentals in Hawaii on VRBO. There are, however, other websites to look at, once you have zeroed in on an island.
    I wouldn't advise island hopping with a group unless you have more than a week to be in Hawaii.

11. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try the classifieds at www.tug2.net. you might want to rent a timeshare on Kauai for a week or two and then one on another island.

12. Thanks folks! I don't think we'll be island hopping because only my parents will be there for the full 3-4 weeks. The rest of us will just come and go. (Not everyone's work allows for long vacations!)

13. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd vote for the Big Island. Though you may not have a lot of cars, just make sure one is in your name. [​IMG] I find that when I'm with my family, there are times I need to get away from them. Hawaii is a big island.