Which gateway to London: PHL or CLT?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Aktchi, Sep 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Need to fly to London and looking at US Airways flights from PHL or CLT. Is there anything to choose between these gateway cities in terms of airport experience, aircrafts used, etc? (Both LHR and LGW are equally convenient at the other end, so that's not an issue.)

2. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have lounge access? What class are you flying (economy or Envoy)? PHL old envoy lounge (now a US Club) is very nice. You get arrivals lounge at LHR (shower breakfast etc) if flying Envoy. Though CLT is slight longer flight if flying Envoy you would get more sleep. Are both the same aircraft (A332 or A333)???

3. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Sadly, I can't afford paid Envoy. So, buying economy, flying who knows? :) It will be economy if it must be, Envoy if that comes through. So that's another consideration: is it reasonable to assume that there will be less demand from/to CLT (being longer flight and away from the crowded NYC region) and thus greater chance of Envoy upgrade?

4. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't afford paid Envoy either...go for the upgrade and/or award travel. Your thoughts on getting away from busy North-Eastto try and secure upgrade may have some merit. Don't know what loads look like on either flights though to give any sort of substantial advice. If you can get it the Envoy Suite is, um, SWEET!!!!

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    PHL Envoy Lounge is pretty nice. If you're *Gold, that's where I'd go.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  6. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I second that one.

7. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Phl envoy lounge is now a regular club. The a330s are very nice in coach.

Premium meals are now for sale as well.

Both are nice options.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  8. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I regularly fly to LHR on US through PHL. I stopped flying from CLT to LGW because I hate the US Airways Gates at LGW.

Your chances of upgrades using certificates are fair on both routes. I actually have been successful upgrades on my last 3 flights out of PHL. You can use miles and cash (from PHL $300 and 30kmiles and from LHR/LGW $400 and 30kmiles. There's a luxury tax on flights originating in the UK hence $400 fee) Or just book a full award tix.

9. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, coach is not bad at all on the a330s. The seats are nice, there are TVs and the food is decent. I actually also find the crews much, much nicer than the domestic crews.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  10. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely look at the planes to see which you get. It seems like flying out of PHL will get you the Airbus, and flying out of CLT will get you the older Boeing planes.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  11. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I've ever seen or heard of anything but an A330 from CLT to London.