Which FF Number to Use for Award Travel

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Flyerdad, Mar 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Flyerdad

Flyerdad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello. I booked award travel through United and am wondering which FF number I should use? One short segment is on United and the four other segments are through TACA. So I can either use my United FF number (I'm a Silver member) and perhaps get Economy Plus on the United segment, or use my Turkish Airlines FF number, which is Star Alliance Gold. I guess my question is--will I get better benefits through my TK *Gold status? Or is it better to use my United FF number? Thanks very much for your assistance.

2. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Use the one that will get you lounge access (Star Gold).

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm... Can you use a TK FF number if you book with UA miles? If so, then it is a no-brainer: Use the TK FF number for *G benefits (no checked luggage fee, *A lounge access) because as a Premier Silver, E+ may even be a long shot depending on how full the flight is...

4. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to change ff number at airport during check in, though I admit I've never tried this on an award flight

5. Flyerdad

Flyerdad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you both. I was able to add my TK FF number to the existing reservation. And perhaps at the airport I can show my Premier Silver card and be eligible for an upgrade to E+ if any open seats. Appreciate the help!

NYCUA1K likes this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you have to call and was it straightforward, i.e., no questions asked or need to bring in the supervisor to approve?