which F award in LH or UA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by cotter77, May 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i have a choice of availabilty i think:
    1300 departure FRA-IAD LH418 in first on 744
    or
    UA933 departs at 1700 FRA-IAD in first on 777

since its an overnight layover, i am leaning on the later flight to try to enjoy Frankfurt for a few hours.
    but i dont get to see F very often (never).

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No question the LH flight. Since you are departing in F, you will have access to the LH F terminal / lounge.

Counsellor and SQ LPP like this.
  3. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you get a 777 on UA with the new seats, I'd say the the hard product would be better than LH in F (or C for that matter).

But LH wins with their soft product and as deant mentioned, you'll get access to LH FCL/FCT in FRA.

If you never fly F, I'd say do the Frankfurt visit the next time you are flying through and instead focus on soaking up the F experience on LH this time around :D

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Fly LH. You'll get the First Class Terminal. They will give you two seats on the 747 not just one. And you get to avoid UA. The UA 777 will almost certainly be the sold seats, which most likely will be falling apart, the last time I flew FRA-IAD in F on a UA 777 the armrest wasn't attached to the rest of the seat.

SQ LPP likes this.
  5. bhmflyer
    Original Member

bhmflyer Active Member

Status Points:
    And if you are connecting in FRA, you get picked up in either a Mercedes S600 Pullman or possibly a Cayenne that meets you at the plane and takes you tot he terminal instead of riding the bus.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Only if arriving at an apron position, right? And IIRC it's usually a first class bus, no? (Unless you're an HON member.)

SQ LPP likes this.
  7. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    arrival is the night before from BKK-FRA on TG.
    so i assume no s600 ride?

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    No planeside pickup but you'll arrive in a gate position.

Take the LH flight in first class and you can depart from the First Class Terminal. You will have a ride in a Porsche or Mercedes across the tarmac to the plane. It's very cool...

Flying UA you get nothin except maybe an apology card that you can redeem for miles or a future discount when your seat is broken, your reading light doesn't work, etc.

SQ LPP likes this.
  9. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was a question? :eek:

SQ LPP likes this.
  10. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I go for LH. Especially with the new configuration in F & the FCT.

The last time I was in LH F was before LH had the FCT. (2002-2003?) Even with the "angled" LH F seats, it was better than UA intl F at the time.

SQ LPP likes this.
  11. lotso-bear
    Original Member

lotso-bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another vote for LH. It is more of an actual F experience, whereas with UA, you may wonder how if was different from C. For me, I only go with UA F if there was no availability on other carriers, or 12+ hours layover at a random airport.

Counsellor likes this.
  12. bhmflyer
    Original Member

bhmflyer Active Member

Status Points:
    I've had it twice arriving from Eastern Europe on LH then connecting in FRA or MUC to transatlantic flights to the US, also on LH. I had no status or maybe UA Silver, which is pretty close to no status. MUC is not as nice as FRA, but is very nice.

SQ LPP likes this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surely anything that allows you to use the FCT at FRA dominates anything that doesn't.

SQ LPP likes this.
  14. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a bunch of LH F and lounge photos from my trip last week. Although cabin has 16 seats, only 8 are sold, so automatic seat blocking next to you for your bed. That lines up with the new configuration which will have 8 seats and 8 beds. Purser told me only one of those is out so far.

FRA A26 First Class Lounge (onward Rome flight)

LH 747 First Class SFO-FRA/FRA-DEN

I'll post two of the F seat photos here and the rest are linked above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SQ LPP likes this.
  15. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ok so while everyone seems to know that F in LH is WAY better experience, due to availabilty and scheduling the connections coming home within the US arent not so great and so given I may have to sacrifice my attempt at F on LH, should i really be feeling so bad. A broken armrest sure is annoying and those UA 777-200 (UA945 FRA-ORD) may be dated but its still a F lie-flat suite seat right? and the mediocre F treatment?

16. bhmflyer
    Original Member

bhmflyer Active Member

Status Points:
    The United First hard product is perfectly fine. A few years ago I flew all 3 in short order and I found it to be pretty similar in size and quality to LH and AA. LH service is miles ahead of both and that FCT is incredible. That being said, United will almost certainly get you home and the seat is pretty good.

SQ LPP likes this.
  17. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    if this was your trip would you sacrifice BKK-FRA leg in TG First to take the earlier red eye BKK-FRA on TG in Y
    to set up for the LH on FRA-EWR/IAD back home or just stick it out on UA? either way its a long travel day and i am going back to working the next day even if i get home late at night.

funny how I really obsess over an award trip when its 290,000miles and dying to maximize it. My outbound does have seats in First on TG from CDG-BKK-DPS (on that tricked out 777 leased from jetairways) which i am super excited about so i cant complain really.

18. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, that would be silly; a 14 hour redeye in Y would just going to be painful for me in comparison to F (and only one of TG's 747s has been modded for seatback IFE in Y). I wouldn't think any lounge or F soft product is going to make up for that.

SQ LPP likes this.
  19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think a 14 hour flight in Y would be horrible. If you could get it in business class, then there might be tradeoffs to discuss.

SQ LPP likes this.
  20. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am confused. You are saying that you pick UA because of limited connection to your home town. If I see the first post again:
    then I can say that your IAD to XXX (home) is later at night. Thus, if you take LH, you will have at least another 4 hours at IAD to wait for your flight at night. Is this right?

I gather that you are taking TG F BKK-FRA. Overnight at FRA. Then for the DAY FLIGHT across the Atlantic, I would rather be on LH. Yes, the hardware on UA might be better, but as you mention that you are going to go to work the next day, you need to adjust your body clock. Therefore, you may need to stay awake on the flight across the pond. And LH will pamper you. LH should deliver the great soft product. (Yes, the IFE is ancient, but you can read, or bring your own entertainment. :) )
    I understand that the seats on LH looks old, but for me, it's pretty comfy for sleeping compare to smaller width on UA F.
    I assume you will be able to wait your flight home at IAD in UA RCC.

Another note, yes, you can visit Frankfurt another time, if you rarely fly in F. Thus experiencing LH F with its fabulous FCT might be a good lesson for you to experience, especially after arriving on TG F.

21. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it' would be silly to take TG Y when one gets TG F even with inconvenient connecting time.

22. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    here is what i got now :

Mon., Jan. 9, 2012 | Bangkok, Thailand (BKK) to Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)

Depart:
    1:15 p.m.
    Mon., Jan. 9, 2012
    Bangkok, Thailand (BKK)

Arrive:
    7:05 p.m.
    Mon., Jan. 9, 2012
    Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)
    Travel Time:
    11 hr 50 mn
    Flight: TG922
    Operated by Thai Airways.
    Aircraft: Boeing 747-400
    Fare Class: Business (I)
    Meal: None

Tue., Jan. 10, 2012 | Frankfurt, Germany (FRA) to Buffalo, NY (BUF)

Depart:
    8:25 a.m.
    Tue., Jan. 10, 2012
    Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)

Arrive:
    10:31 a.m.
    Tue., Jan. 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL (ORD - O'Hare)
    Flight Time:
    9 hr 6 mn
    Flight: CO6071 (UA945)
    Operated by United Airlines.
    Aircraft: Boeing 777-200ER
    Fare Class: First (O)
    No Special Meal Offered.

Change Planes. Connect time in Chicago, IL (ORD - O'Hare) is 2 hr 49 mn.

Depart:
    1:20 p.m.
    Tue., Jan. 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL (ORD - O'Hare)

Arrive:
    3:45 p.m.
    Tue., Jan. 10, 2012
    Buffalo, NY (BUF)
    Flight Time:
    1 hr 25 mn

Travel Time:
    13 hr 20 mn
    Flight: UA6166
    Operated by ExpressJet Airlines dba United Express.
    Aircraft: Embraer RJ145
    Fare Class: Economy (X)

23. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, so I think I see the problem. Connecting at IAD, LH 418 gets you into Dulles at ~3:45, and the IAD-BUF flights are at 4:45 and 10 pm (so the UA flight works better for a connection). Probably not realistic to expect to make that earlier flight (though if you got in early enough, you might make it on standby, I guess).

So I guess your question is "is the FCT and LH soft product worth having to possibly cool my heels for 6 hours at IAD and show up home very late after a lot of flying"?

All I would say is that if I was returning home to SEA, and I saw availability on an airline with worse soft product on a more convenient schedule, and a better product on a less convenient one... I'd be sorely tempted to go with the one that gets me home faster. Sometimes the journey isn't the destination, and a lounge is a lounge. (I'm lucky, though, in that LH flies nonstop to SEA, so I don't have to make this particular choice on a return through FRA- UA is the less convenient option).

I guess it's up to you- is the experience of first class worth some inconvenience? I would imagine you would be able to wait at the Lufthansa lounge at IAD, though. Plus less time in an RJ if you route through IAD. ;)