Which do you choose? BW Points or Airline FF Miles?

Discussion in 'Best Western | Rewards' started by NJUPINTHEAIR, Sep 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. NJUPINTHEAIR
    Original Member

NJUPINTHEAIR Silver Member

Status Points:
    In all the other programs I am a member, I choose hotel points, but I have chosen to earn airline FF miles with BW @ 250 miles a stay.

First, one needs to accumulate 5,000 BW points to convert to 1, 000 FF miles (and United is not one of them, whereas you can earn United miles on a per stay basis as noted above).

Second, you need an awful lot of points to convert to one free hotel night, IMHO, on average of 24,000 BW points.

Now the above may not seem like much to someone who favors BW all the time, but I rarely stay at these properties with the major chains getting most of my business.

So, what say you?

macbookguy likes this.
  2. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have elected points for now. Like you I don't stay at BW properties much... HIX tends to be my hotel of choice. But I do less flying than hotel stays so the chances of me needing the hotel points in the future are greater than the airline miles. And 1,000 points here, 3,000 points there adds up to a good chance at a hotel room when I need one at no cost :)

3. NJUPINTHEAIR
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good points! Ha Ha!

macbookguy likes this.
  4. DCA Rob

DCA Rob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have taken advantage of the BW status match and have stayed in several Best Western properties this year. I typically use Best Western when doing recreational activities in rural areas when there are not any other better chains to choose from. I have also stayed at a couple of place in Italy and was extremely (and surprisingly) pleased.

That said, I have always asked for points. While I don't know how much I will be staying at BW in the future, I just applied for their Barclay's Master Card with no annual fee and a first use bonus of 16,000 points. I will use this bonus to top off the limited miles I have and use stay redemption(s). After that, I will reevaluate whether or not I continue to choose points over miles.

macbookguy likes this.
  5. NJUPINTHEAIR
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the hotels overseas, esp. in Italy. I stayed at a B/W in Verona and it was quite nice. Am staying at one outside of Siracusa which has gotten very good reviews for what it is, a roadside property well located if you have a car. It is a relatively new build and modern property, having formely been a HIX.

On the other hand, Marriott is expanding in Europe what with its AC brand and other acquistions via the Autograph Collection and IHG has many properties there, as well, so I just don't see the utility of keeping B/W points for either a trade-in to FF miles or for a free night award which will be approx. 5x as many points needed.

Finally, by virtue of my not flying very much, addition of FF miles to an account to keep it from expiring is also a very nice option, as well and United is a big gun in my area and the only way to earn United FF miles from B/W is to opt for the FF miles earning from one' stay. There is no conversion of B/W points to United FF miles and I have more than enough AAdvantage miles.

6. tcorbs

tcorbs Active Member

Status Points:
    Seems how I usually stay at a Best Western whenever I travel I tend to stick with it's rewards card.