Which currency to take to Africa?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by YULtide, May 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm off to BJM next week, and I understand that one should not expect to find ATMs or to be able to use credit cards, but instead cash is best. OK, that being the case, I wonder which currency is better? I assume that they won't touch Canadian dollars, but should I take US dollars or Euros with me?

2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you staying in Bujumbura or will you be traveling inland? If going inland, change your money while in the Capital.

My experience is that US dollars are the best currency. Some things are even priced in dollars, even though the local currency is the Burundian Franc.

As to ATMs, Wikipedia says, "Interbank has several ATMs in Bujumbura that accept international VISA debit cards but they charge 5000 FBu for each transaction." That's about $4 to $5.

YULtide likes this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. That's helpful. We will be tavelling a couple of hours north-east of Bujumbura, so we will exchange money before we leave the capital as you suggest.