Survey Request Which Credit Card to Use to Maximize Return?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Kalboz, Dec 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

?

Which Credit Card to USe at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego?

1. Chase Hyatt Visa

70.0%
  2. American Express Platinum MB Card

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Chase Sapphire Preferred

30.0%
  1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello all & Season's Greetings!

I have an upcoming stay at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego and would like to maximize my return on the credit card spend. The spend will be around $1000, and I cornered it down to the following three cards:

• Chase Hyatt Visa
    • American Express Platinum MB Card
    • Chase Sapphire Preferred

I am a Diamond with Hyatt, if it matters for the spend!

Any input or suggestion will be welcome and not limited to the above 3 choices ... and greatly appreciated. :)

2. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The way I see it depends on your GP balance with Hyatt. If I needed more GP points I would use my Hyatt card as it would give you the highest amount of points earned. If I needed the flexibility of MR or UR points to use with airlines or other transfer partners then I would choose the one that would help achieve my next redemption. Personally I have tons of MR and UR points so I would use the Hyatt Card to maximize my earning.

traveltoomuch, uggboy, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is your redemption goal with the points earnt?

Kalboz likes this.
  4. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    AmEx PL has the worst return of them all. You get 1 MRP per $1. Turning that straight money via gift cards will be 2:1. So, in essence you get 1 point worth 0.5¢. Not too good considering that with Venture, for example, you'd be getting 1 point worth 2¢. For myself, as a general rule I always use program related credit card when paying for my airline or hotel spend. That would definitely be the best return on the money if you do the math.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt balance is a bit over 73K points.

What's needed the most are Hyatt points for hotel rooms and United miles for flights. We can also use as many AA miles, SPG, Marriott, HH points as possible.

Newscience, uggboy and foxberg like this.
  6. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then definitely Hyatt CC, IMO.

Newscience, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want the flexibility to choose later then use the CSP. If you're willing to commit to Hyatt now then use the Hyatt card for the extra 1000 points.

None of the cards listed get you anything worth considering for the other desired points.

Kalboz, traveltoomuch and MX like this.
  8. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Make sure to consider cash discount options, e.g. get Hyatt gift cards at 10% off, or use an Amex small business card for 5% off.

It was someone else's money, I'd use the Hyatt CC, with CSP as my second choice.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    Kalboz likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This being a stay at a Hyatt property, I would use the Chase Hyatt CC because it'll get you the biggest bang for your buck:

• Earn 3 Hyatt Gold Passport® points for every $1 spent with your Hyatt Credit Card at all Hyatt properties
    • Earn 2 Hyatt Gold Passport points for every $1 spent at restaurants, on airline tickets purchased directly from the airline and at car rental agencies
    • Earn 1 Hyatt Gold Passport point for every $1 spent on purchases elsewhere
    After all, is it not precisely the main reason for having a co-branded CC? I deviate from this rule when it comes to co-branded UA CCs because I get by far more miles from my long-haul flights. So, after I hit $25K spend on the explorer and collect the associated 10K bonus miles, I would switch to using the Marriott, Hyatt or SPG co-branded CC to purchase airline tickets to achieve a relatively higher value. By this I mean that 1000 GP points from a $500 ticket purchased @ 2GP/$ with the Chase Hyatt CC are worth more to me because numerically the redemption rates at Hyatt are relatively low (especially using C&P). The contribution to my total miles of 1000 miles derived by purchasing the ticket with the UA Explorer or Club card at 2 miles/$ would not be as significant as would be the 1000 GP points to my total for that program...for the same reason, nor would be points purchased with co-branded HHonors CCs, which get me the biggest bang when I use them to pay for stays at Hilton properties.

Newscience and Kalboz like this.
  10. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    Not necessarily.

I got the Hyatt CC (and the UA Explorer card, and two AA cards, and the US card, and the Fairmont card, and some others) primarily for the sign-up bonus, not for ongoing spending. I kept the Hyatt CC because the annual night was easily worth the $75 fee and there was no compelling reason to close the account.

Whether or not it makes sense to put spending on the card is a different question.

Kalboz likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you got your CCs just for the sign up bonuses with no intention of keeping the cards, then there is no contradiction because we are talking about apples and oranges. I have never gotten a co-branded CC just for the sign up bonus, so I was referring to folks in the same category. For those of us whose primary purpose for getting a co-branded CC is not the sign up bonus, the proposed thesis remains: one gets the most out of such a CC by using it for spend associated with the brand (e.g., AMEX HHonors Surpass:12 points/$ at Hilton properties and it goes down from there).

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    Slow_Mustang, Newscience and Kalboz like this.
  12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My best retun is Avios, MR just gave us 40% transfer, and we can save the AA miles for international.

Avios are great for North and South America travel, much cheaper on the miles, than AA.

Kalboz likes this.
  13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, basically you are picking the Platinum AMEX over the others for MR points that can be transferred to BA Avios. One vote for AMEX ... Thank you!

Newscience and satman40 like this.
  14. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AMEX is great, but us poor folks move to the free AMEX Card, to save the points, and move them to AVOIS when we get a 40% bonus...

Not fun being poor...freezing, in a he cold North.

Wish I was in Southern California.....

Newscience and Kalboz like this.
  15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Poor but proud ;)

You can always hop on a plane using these BA Avios and head to a warmer climate! :)

satman40 and Newscience like this.
  16. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Retired and 73 you bet, but most of my miles are given away to my wife's relation, seems they want to attend college in the States or England.

It is nice to see them do things we only dreamed of.

I consider myself lucky.:D

BWIflyer and Kalboz like this.
  17. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt is a no brainer unless you have more Hyatt points than you can use. Also as Diamond you get better value from Hyatt points than most, since you can use upgrades on the cash+points rates. 73k doesn't get you too far at the top properties.

If you were rolling in Hyatt points then the 2nd choice would be CSP which you can transfer to an airline.

3rd choice would be Marukai JCB card for 3% cash back. This assumes you are getting <.015 per mile on your airline redemptions (as CSP provides 2x points for hotels).

Kalboz and satman40 like this.
  18. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    Depends on your taste in "top" and your willingness to use cash+points. Category 5 and 6 C+P require 10k and 12.5k HGP points, respectively. That's 6-7 nights from the balance you already have.

I've reconsidered. You can probably get the best redemption values on airlines, especially if you're willing to branch out into programs other than UA MP. Transferring Chase UR points to BA or Singapore can yield some excellent values.

Repeating the caveat to first consider the cash discount options (10% for using Hyatt gift cards!), CSP might win out over the Hyatt Visa.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
    Kalboz likes this.
  19. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have an AMEX business card? Doesn't OPEN give 5% on Hyatt stays?

Kalboz, BWIflyer and satman40 like this.
  20. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    As a general rule, unless I have a very large balance of points or a very small balance (and need to work towards a specific award) I always use the card that will give me highest value. Value is obviously subjective but in this example the Hyatt card likely gives you the highest value. And, since you're not swimming in GP points (or dangerously low), I'd go that route.

Kalboz, traveltoomuch and satman40 like this.
  21. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The point number does not matter, what matters is the points you need to what you desire.

Too many have air miles, and can not afford the trip to the airport.

Gas is getting cheaper....

Happy New Year....

Kalboz likes this.
  22. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    For some reason I thought Hyatt Diamonds earn 4 Hyatt GP points for every $1 spent with the Hyatt cc at all Hyatt properties ... no?

23. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know anyone with the Chase Hyatt visa card earns 3 GP points/$ at Hyatt properties without regard to elite status.

traveltoomuch and Kalboz like this.
  24. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    That's my understanding, too.

Diamonds get a 30% bonus on the base Hyatt earnings (5HGP/$ for non-elites, 7.75HGP/$ for Platinum, 6.5HGP/$ for Diamonds), but there's no elite bonus on the points from the credit card.

Kalboz likes this.
  25. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not too long ago, I read somewhere that Diamonds get 4 HGP points for $ spent at their property ... but now, I cannot find that info anywhere!!!