Which Credit Card at Sam's Club for Rewards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by vickers, Aug 10, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do quite a bit of shopping at Sam's Club, but I do not have a credit card strategy for that one...

Assuming you are not trying to hit minimum spend, what card do you use at Sam's Club and why?

I am getting stuck as Sam's Club is not categorized as a Grocery Store/Supermarket (from my understanding) and they do not accept Visa or American Express. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    satman40 and uggboy like this.
  2. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Use a MasterCard gift card that you purchase elsewhere with a category bonus.

satman40, vickers and uggboy like this.
  3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't think of that. Depending on the amount you load, it should offset or reduce the fees.

satman40 likes this.
  4. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what you mean.

Using purely made-up numbers ... Purchase $500 MasterCard gift card at store X for ... say ... $4.95. Total cost $504.95. Assume 5% cash back for $25.25.

Out of pocket cost for $500 MGC = $479.70. Net return = 4.06%

satman40 and vickers like this.
  5. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, you are right. I've never dabbled in Manufactured Spending, so I didn't really consider it. Appreciate the breakdown.

satman40 likes this.
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I use Sam's credit card (Mastercard) when buying gas in order to get the 5% rebate.

For other purchases, I use a miles-earning Mastercard (either on AA or UA) since Sam's card kicks back only 1% on those purchases. If they begin accepting AMEX, I'll use my SPG instead.

satman40 and vickers like this.
  7. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. It looks like other than the mastercard gift card approach, there isn't a credit card that offers any better rewards when shopping at sams club over another. Appreciate it everyone.

satman40 and Counsellor like this.
  8. volsfan

volsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    My strategy to get the most points from buying at Sams Club is this: I use U.S. Bank Flexperks card to buy a Walmart or Sams Club gift card AT Walmart--with this card, Walmart is treated as a grocery store, for which you can get double points (if it is your highest spending category for the month). These points are doubled again when I use the points to buy an airline ticket! As a result, I eventually get 4 cents per dollar for a Walmart gift card I can use at Walmart or Sams Club!

vickers and satman40 like this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I buy at Office Depot or Staples when they have Gift Cards for free, and get 5X with my Chase INK, , and them spend them anyplace Costco, or SAMs Club.

My Chase INK no fee 2006 only give 3X points at Office Stores,
    Business INK 5X...

Not a fan of FlexPerks, use to be the old NW Air Card, keep it a couple of years,, but that is me, and if it a good card for you keep it, lot of guys love it..

I admit I am a Card Churner, and some MS, not much..:D

vickers likes this.