Which cc to apply for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by ilex00, Oct 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ilex00

ilex00 Active Member

Status Points:
    Newbie here. About to cancel my first cc that is coming due for the annual fee. It's a SW Visa and It provides me no benefits. Leisure traveler and to be honest, I flew SW this year for the first time in a long time and really hated it.

So, my question is twofold. Do I apply for another Chase card before I cancel my SW card and ask to move the pretty nice credit line over to the new card? Last Chase cc I applied for I was not approved for right away but got a call from Chase to move some credit lines around and then got approved. Assuming the same thing will happen again. Or do I just cancel the SW card, wait a while, and then apply for a new chase cc? I applied for my last chase cc in July.

Second question - which Chase cc does anyone suggest? I think the two that would be most beneficial to me now would be the Freedom card or the Ink Bold. Not sure how nitpicky chase is about the type of and lucrativeness of your business. Mine's informal with no business id and not much money made to date. I have the Sapphire and my husband has the freedom so I thought that maybe getting the freedom may make point transfers from him to me easier.

Any thoughts, insights, suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Jett Rink likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure how you having Freedom will make it easier when you already have the Sapphire.

I would apply for whatever you need & not cancel the SW card yet. If they don't approve you then ask to move credit lines around ... if they just give you the CL, call back and ask for the retention dept for the SW card.

As for what card ... the Ink is a good choice, and since its a bus you should be able to get a personal card at the same time. Freedom is an okay choice, but the bonus isn't all that great. How about the UA/Hyatt/PC/etc. Without knowing what your plans are and what programs you belong to, concentrate on it's hard.

servo46250 likes this.
  3. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chase isn't picky at all with business cards. Citi is the one that's picky there. No real reason to move the credit line over from one to the other as you could have up to 4-5 Chase cards at one time, so only having one or two, it really is neither here nor there.

As for the BEST card? Well, without knowing your goals for use of the points/miles, it's kinda tough to provide good advice. If you value UR, then sticking to another UR card would be worthwhile, but keep in mind the Ink cards have rather high spends for the bonuses ($10k in 3 months), and Freedom doesn't have an annual fee.

What did you hate about flying WN? Just curious. People either love them or hate them; not many people are in the middle.

edekba likes this.
  4. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jinx!

edekba likes this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    heh my quick fingers are faster @ post reply than you :)

but all things aside, asking what is best is subjective to the extreme. Some people <3 SouthWest and best to them is getting CP and flying BOGO for almost 2 yrs. Other people <3 Hyatt to stay @ really expensive hotels for 2 nights free, and then one night free every year for the annual fee. Others yet prefer flexibility of UR points so they can transfer them into many different programs... You get the idea.

6. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

OneSweetWorld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go with Chase Sapphire Preferred. You can transfer the UR to United, BA, SW, Hyatt, Marriott, Priority Club.

7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Op already has =)

8. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Priority Club® Select Visa® Card

9. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For whatever reason, alot of people are overlooking the base marriott card from chase. it's offering 30k points, 2 free nights, and a $75 statement credit.