Which Card to use for Gas puchases?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by nycdave66, Jul 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I was hoping the collective genius that makes up the milepoint family can help me figure out what card represents the best value in puchasing gas. Here are my options:

1) Chase Freedom: I can get 5% cashback up to $1,500 in purchases. I also receive 10 points per purchase. These points can be transfered to my UR Sapphire account which in turn can be redeemed on an equal point basis for Hyatt or Continental.

2) Citi AA: I am presently receiving 2 miles per $1 in purchase for gas under a special targeted promotion. No offer code was given. I am also receiving 2 miles per $1 in other categories such as supermarkets and restaurants.

3) Discover: 5% cashback

My main carrier is AA with Continental/United coming in second. Hyatt was my primary hotel rewards program but is now probably even with Hilton due to recent Hilton CC promo/mile accumulation. I thank you all in advance for your advice.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  2. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your freedom points will transfer to Sapphire then I think 5.5 CO Miles on the dollar is a good idea. I just recently learned that you can join Freedom points with Sapphire points, sadly just after I closed my freedom account. Especially since it can ALSO be cash.

Right now I am using my HHonors Surpass for gas because its 6 Points on the dollar, but I think that Your freedom is a better deal, this quarter.

3. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with Muerl, hard to see how 5+ UR>CO can be beat.

BTW, when using Freedom, if you have some time, see how many times you can pump $.02 ;)

4. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did that with the MBTA kept adding $0.05 to my "Charlie Card" to ride the subway :)

5. Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately all the pumps by me only allow 2 transactions with the same card before shutting off. I have also heard of Chase taking adverse action for too many minimal purchases.

6. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, the ways we'll juice the system. Dollar coins were so much easier.

So who's starting a thread outlining the many ways you can make such repeated micro-purchases? Unfortunately, I bike to work, so both of these are no-gos for me.

BTW, my understanding is that you have to have a Chase checking acct. for the bonus - is that still true?

viguera likes this.
  7. So according to my math it works out like this for a $100 fill up:

1) freedom: $100(@$25x4) = So I would get $5.00 back plus 40 points plus 100 points for a total of 145 pts/miles

2) AA: $100 = 200 miles

3) Discover: $100 = $5 in cash

Am i missing something or is AA the better deal?

8. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred CC all UR points can transfer to CO, Hyatt etc.
    Meaning insead of $5 you'll get 500 miles/points

9. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems to be the case still:
    • If you link your Freedom Card to your Chase Checking Account, earn an additional 10% bonus on all core 1% cash back rewards (for an effective 1.1% cash back rate).
    • Also, if you have a Chase Checking Account, you will earn 10 rewards points on every purchase.

10. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pentagon Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa

5% Cashback on Gas, all the time, auto-credited to your monthly statement, every month. Hassle free.

snoopy22 and Freddie Listo like this.
  11. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1.

12. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can buy gift cards at my local grocery with my AMEX Blue Cash preferred for 6% cash back (at groceries) and use those to buy at that grocery's gas pumps. Only hassle is that I have to wait about two months until I can actually get the cash back. But 6% cash back is very nice. :)

13. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For that matter, you can buy pretty much any gift card at big name grocery stores with the same end result - Shell gas, Target, Home Depot, Amazon.com, iTunes, SW Air, restaurants, etc, etc. And if your grocery gives some sort of bonus for spending, i.e. gas rebate at Kroger or Safeway, you can add another 1-2%.

Using this example, Kroger is running a promotion on Lowe's gift cards locally - you get 4 Kroger points/$, so a $50 gift card gives you $0.20/gallon discount on a tank of gas (100 pts = $0.10).
    Conservatively, $0.20 x 13 gals = $2.60, $2.60/$50 = 5.2% + your 6% AMEX = 11.2% (!!)

ALSO, if you use the gift cards on an online purchase through a mall (Lowes.com via CO shopping, for example), you can earn 2 more miles per $ on the purchase using the previous bought gift card.

You may have seen me post on this before, but thought it worthwhile to repeat because it's easily missed.

14. lukelwang

lukelwang Active Member

Status Points:
    The best way is to enroll the discount gift card program. I got all my gas gift card with 20% discount.:D

15. calwatch
    Original Member

calwatch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this one of those Dealpass type outfits? What's the monthly fee and what's the maximum? Those would be my questions to see if that works.

16. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    To pivot the conversation just a bit -

is there a list of cards that offer bonus points for gas/groceries? I am most interested in points, though others may be interested in cash back.

I know Hilton Surpass and Priority Club has a card that do. Any airline cards? Other hotel cards?

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think AmEx offers this at times on certain cards, probably targeted.

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you don't exceed the $1500 ceiling for Chase Freedom, there's no reason ever to use Discover as it's so clearly dominated.

19. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know Platinum used to offer this but no longer does. Also have Starwood AmEx but does not offer.

20. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you elaborate on this please? To what discount gift card program are you referring? Thanks for any info you can supply :)

LizzyDragon84 likes this.
  21. lukelwang

lukelwang Active Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know, after you submit an order on drugstore.com, you will find a link to enroll in a discount gift card program called Complete Savings. The monthly fee is $12 and you can purchase 4 gift cards per month with 20% off. Remember to email your gift card order confirmation and get $10 monthly rebate.

22. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah. Thank you! :)