Which Business Class Seat do you Like Best?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by lsed, May 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been quite fortunate the past couple of years that I've flown in more F cabins than in J.

Hence I'm wondering which airline's J seats (not counting service) do you guys like to most?

Herringbone, Reverse Herringbone, Forward Flat Beds, etcs?

I'm guessing no one likes recliners and angled lie flats. But UA's and BA's seats that face backward seem puzzling to me.

Sometimes I don't understand why anyone would want to take EK's J class angled lie flats in a 2-3-2 config on their 777s when airlines like SQ have a 1-2-1 config. Is it about the price? Or is SQ's 1-2-1 J class not comfortable for lounging.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Reverse herringbone. Nothing comes close.

jbcarioca and bez7 like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Zodiac Aerospace Vantage on DL, among others, is my current favourite. That does not match the Singapore Airlines seat on the A340-500, but that one is going away, so really does not count.

YULtide likes this.
  4. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One plus to the reverse lay flat seat is that when flying, the seat is actually slightly down sloping because the nose of the plane is slightly elevated compared to the tail. Not a perceptible slant but better than the opposite

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gary is spot on here. I've only tried the US Airways reverse herringbone but it is absolutely amazing. Though regular herringbone doesn't suck either.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Across the atlantic, the BA seat is my personal favorite. It has a great combination of privacy and comfort.

I also like the Delta Cirrus seat and the pre merger CO 777 seat. Singapore's seat is extremely wide, but you have a very narrow place to put your feet and I'm to tall for that seat. I could never get comfortable in it. Cathay's new seat is a lot better.

You must be joking. It's as wide as a coach seat and the armrest doesn't come down. I'm a big guy about 6.1 and 240 lbs, but even if I dropped 30 lbs, My shoulders are too wide, so I can't lay on my back in that seat. It's the worst seat out there IMHO

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Obviously there are very different preferences. I refuse to fly BA Club anymore because I hate people climbing over me or me over them, they are narrow and have no storage.

The new DL seat in the 764 is 20.5 inches wide, staggered so there is a wide shelf and lots of privacy. The armrests on mine go up and down easily. They are not the widest , it is true, but they're a half inch wider than the BA ones are. Maybe you flew one of the horrible old DL seats rather than the nice new ones.

As you know I am not a midget either. I would have thought we'd have similar views.

BTW, I am also a fan of reverse herringbone, although I have only flown in a couple of them.

YULtide likes this.
  8. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tommy, I'm bigger than you and i have no trouble with those seats assuming i get 1A and have the big footwell. Throw me in a 1 on the LX config with 2 on the left side and I hate it.
    What we are proving in this discussion is that it really does come down to personal preferences. Some people like one style, others prefer another style and in the end we all just say we'd rather be in First.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said!

YULtide and skyvan like this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My first criterion is to neither a climber nor a climbee be. So I like 1-2-1 configurations best of all, then 2-2-2 if I can get a seat in the center section. I find 2-3-2 offensive for business class and 2-4-2 unbelievable.

I refuse to pay BA a nontrivial amount of money to reserve a seat on a paid business class fare.

I'm very happy with the DL 777 herringbone, even if I must twist a bit to look out the window. The reconfigured DL 767s are also nice, but I'm still trying to make up my mind about how they compare to the 777 or 747 seats. Again on DL, the nonreconfigured 767-300s are horrid. I used to like the A330s, but I've been spoiled by too many TPAC flights on the 777 in 7A or 7D.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting feedback. I've yet to try a reverse herringbone seat. Perhaps the best would be CX or QR's 787?

Ive not tried SQ's 1-2-1 yet, but they seem very similar to the F seats - which I find a tad too short even though I'm not that tall.

Looking at seats like LX, LH, OS new business class, it just seems so cramped. I've tested LH's new J seats when I was on the 74H and its feels quite uncomfortable for sleeping unless you sleep sideways.

What about staggered forward facing flat beds? The idea that everyone has access to an aisle is great but on EK's A380 I looked at the seats in business and they looked so cluttered and compressed.

Sadly I'm heavily cutting back on F travel. First world problem I know!

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    The UA (former CO) 777 BF seats are nice because middle seats both have aisle access. Have not tried new DL lie flat but hear good things about them. In general UA and BA are good if you get a free seat next to you and don't have to climb over anyone.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like CO's BF seat. Especially on the 777, the 2-2-2 beats UA's 2-4-2 any day.

I don't mind the rear-facing seats - they're odd, but not inherently uncomfortable.

14. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    my first and most important selection point! While showing her age, the AC herringbone seat (esp the ones that wrap behind the cupboard) are the standard by which I measure other carriers. it is all about the privacy- don't care about food, about IFE, about booze- just let me sleep. in peace. and relative comfort.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Swiss. Some of the business window seats don't have a second seat next to them. Being able to sleep without having someone wake you up to go the bathroom is very nice.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine too. That is why on all the 767 six-across business class I choose center section right side. That has less passing traffic too, regardless of carrier, or so it seems to me. Even recliners are just barely OK if I'm in the center section.

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's disgraceful to have a 2-3-2 configuration in business class, let alone 2-4-2.

jbcarioca likes this.