Which Beijing Property - Wangfujing or Conrad?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Ed Chandler, May 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, all,

I need to burn a couple of free weekend night certificates (thank you, Citi). As it happens, my wife and I will be in Beijing for her birthday and I'd like to treat her to something nice. However, I don't want to sacrifice too much convenience in the name of luxury.

It would appear that the two best options in Beijing are the Hilton Beijing Wangfujing and the Conrad Beijing. The Conrad looks swankier, but the Hilton Wangfujing appears to be right in the middle of everything. The Conrad is 3-4 km east.

My gut tells me to go with the Conrad, because the location is mitigated by a metro station only two blocks away. Does anyone have any insight that would influence that decision?

Thanks.

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    For two days, I would suggest Hilton Wangfujing because it is smack in the middle of some of the city's best sites for tourism and shopping....all within walking distance: Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, Wangfujing Shopping district (their "Times Square") and much, much more...

There have been several reports about Wangfujing by MP members that you can find quickly....

3. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. At your suggestion, I spent the last 30 minutes reading what I found here on MP regarding the Wangfujing. As I expected, there's no doubt that it's a fine property. Because it opened only recently, there's very little about the Conrad Beijing to be found. Just seeing if anyone who has actually stayed at the Conrad can speak to its relative convenience.

My style of tourism is to leave the hotel in the morning, see stuff all day, and only return to the hotel at the end of the day. Therefore, to me, walking distance to a subway that drops me off at the main sites is almost as good as walking distance to the sites, themselves.

So let me re-frame the question: Let's assume that I'm there for two nights and assume that I will end up at Tienanmen Square each morning, which would you do?
    1. Stay at the Conrad and spend $10 each day getting to and from Tienanmen, or
    2. Stay at the Hilton Wangfujing and walk to and from Tienanmen
    In short: Is the "luxury factor" of the Conrad enough to outweigh a four extra trips on the subway?

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. Hilton Wangfujing is a "luxurious" hotel, but it also provides much more: Wangfujing itself, even ignoring the touristy sites that are nearby. Wangfujing is Beijing, like Manhattan is New York (you would want to stay at Hilton New York on 6th Avenue and not at the Conrad in the Bronx, if there were one). Wangfujing is such an attraction that a Waldorf-Astoria is now nearing completion right across the street from Hilton Wangfujing... maybe you should wait for that one to open;)

5. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Cool, Wangfujing it is ...
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You won't regret it. Please do come back and tell us the hi- and lo-lights...

7. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points: