Which Award Itinerary Interests You More?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Jimgotkp, Oct 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm having a tough time deciding if I want to change a current itinerary I have right now.

The current one is:
    1. BKK-CDG in TG F on the 77W
    CDG-FRA in LH C on the 321
    FRA-EWR in LH F on the 744

However, I just found availability on some other routes and want to change the itinerary to:
    2. BKK-NRT in TG F on the 77W (8AM Departure)
    NRT-ZRH in LX F on the 343
    ZRH-FRA in LH C on the 321

or

3. BKK-NRT in TG F on the 77W (8AM Departure)
    NRT-ICN in UA F on the 777 OR NH/OZ C (Which one is better?)
    ICN-FRA in OZ F on the 744

I would appreciate if people can give me some feedback on which itinerary is better.. I was thinking NH F too but that wasn't available. Itinerary 3 has more F segments but the UA segment isn't as exciting as the other ones from what I read.

lwkatya, cennas and rwoman like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you staying in any of the cities? If so, which one(s) do you REALLY want to see?

:)

lwkatya, Jimgotkp and Quasiconvexity like this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well BKK is my origin since I'm flying in from CX F with a layover at HKG. Since the itinerary was already booked, I don't want to pay for the change fee so I will start from BKK and end at EWR. I've been to ICN plenty of times but only in OZ Y. I've never been to Japan so that interests me but I will only have one day to explore the city which is too short but better than nothing. I haven't been to Europe in my life yet and understand that FRA doesn't have much to offer other than the fabulous FCT. :)

joesmoe and rwoman like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Romer Square in FRA is neat, but, as more of a financial hub than anything, most people I know don't see much else when they go there. That said, you could always catch a quick flight, drive, or take a train to someplace more interesting....it's definitely easy to get around!

5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will only have a day unless I switch my itinerary around...

rwoman likes this.
  6. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would choose either #2 or #3.

For me the deciding factor would be which one is better between OZ F and LX F. I've flown OZ a few times albeit only in J and the crew was just fabulous. I would imagine it would be much much better in F. As for LX, the last time I flew them was a few years ago in J and it was good but not great. So if I were you, I would choose #3.

Although I've read a few trip reports recently that showed LX F to be really really good. So all in all a very tough decision for you to make :)

lwkatya, rwoman and Jimgotkp like this.
  7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    It sure is! :( The only thing I don't like about itinerary #2 and #3 is the 8AM departure. Less time in the FCL with it opening at 5 and the Spa at 6 which makes the 1hr massage cutting it short almost. Not sure if I can order a pre-order meal for an 8AM departure since I hate breakfast out of all meals :eek:

LX F looks great on TRs and this would be my first time in F. More like first time in a premium cabin for an int'l flight that I can actually remember. I think I'm leaning towards the OZ F product as well since I will still get access at the FCT in FRA and the FCL at ZRH isn't that great from what I read.

lwkatya, cennas and rwoman like this.
  8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    True! I didn't notice the 8 am departure. With the need to shower before and after the actual massage, it could be quite tight. But I'm sure they would hold the flight for you :)

9. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    That sure would be nice if they hold the flight for me! ;) All it's missing is the chauffeur-driven MB or Porsche to the plane! :p

catgirl, cennas and rwoman like this.
  10. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I add a segment on CO to get to my final destination after changing the routing, would it have to be a SaverPass or can it be an EasyPass?

For example, if I do FRA-SEA-EWR and there is only EasyPass availability on the SEA-EWR segment.

11. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    But you do get a chauffeur-driven buggy to the entrance of your gate :p

lwkatya, catgirl and Jimgotkp like this.
  12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'd do #3.

F all the way. Sure UA F is rather sad NRT-ICN, but it's a better seat than NH/OZ C and you'll get OZ F shortly thereafter so plenty taste of OZ! You get the BKK F departure experience and the OZ F lounge is nice, you'll be walked to the gate.

This is of course for those who like extra flying :)

And 2 vs 3 certainly comes down to OZ F vs LX F. Now, if memory serves NRT-ZRH is LX's old F, I'd definitely go OZ. Even new LX F, you've got the better F seat vs in my opinion the better overall experience on OZ (I prefer the food, amenities, but only by a bit).

cennas, Jimgotkp and catgirl like this.
  13. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just in case anybody is interested, I updated the reservation and now it is all in F so there is some maximization right there! ;)

Also, I will not be flying UA F from NRT-ICN instead I will be flying OZ F! On KVS it was showing F availability with the equipment as 333 which I thought was weird since the 747 is the only OZ equipment that has F. However, after confirming with an OZ CSR, the equipment is indeed a 747! :cool: No intra-europe C flights or OZ/NH C flights. :p

So the finally itinerary (hopefully) is:
    BKK-NRT on TG F (77W)
    NRT-ICN on OZ F (744)
    ICN-FRA on OZ F (744)
    FRA-EWR on LH F (744)

Plenty of flights aboard the Queen of the Skies!

14. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice itinerary there! So when will you be flying? Will we get a trip report? :p

lwkatya and Jimgotkp like this.
  15. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be flying mid-March during Spring Break! I'm hoping to find a job so I can pay for a camera and all that fun stuff while I'm there such as food! If I buy a camera, I will 100% have a TR! I promise! :)

catgirl and cennas like this.
  16. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice! Emjoy!

lwkatya, cennas and Jimgotkp like this.
  17. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Nicely done!!