Which award booking service should we use?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Traveling Momma, Aug 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi there - we need suggestions from the group on which award booking to use for our next redemption. We used Scott from Milevalue for our last redemption to get from ORD to BKK in March 2014, 3 on biz class. Scott was great. I like his writing and he did a great job. We would use him again except that he's on extended travel through Africa and won't be doing the actual booking himself. I prefer to know the person (at least virtually through their blog writing) to get a sense of how they think and write.

We're looking for an award booking service that will not only do the booking but also evaluate our miles and suggest destinations, strategies, stopovers, one ways and interesting routes and premium products for the best overall redemption. We have more than 400K miles and points most with *A and UA, US Air and LF, UR and MR. I guess what I'm saying is we'd like just a bit more than the straight time relief of booking the tickets. We want direction, input and strategic thinking.

What is your experience and who do you recommend we reach out to work with a family of 3 based in Chicago looking for South America, Africa, SE Asia or Australia for our next trip?

PM if you would rather not list your thoughts openly here.

Thanks.
    Blue

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think 2 that you should consider are probably two of the biggest bloggers (IMO, though I guess you can say Popular)
    Another one you should consider is hackmytrip.com. Tashir from MileValue might be doing some of the award work now; so there might be some familiarity with him.
    Might want to read this as well.
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/recommendations-on-trip-planning-service-using-points.47900/
    I linked a few other MP threads about this in there as well

Traveling Momma likes this.
  3. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Thanks. Do you know if any of these folks will get strategic and suggest destinations, stopovers, one ways and interesting routes and premium products for the best overall redemption? I'm trying to find one that will do specifically this.

Thanks for the link. I did read that one a while ago but there was nothing in there specifically about what I'm looking for. Maybe its too much to ask for or too specific but I thought I would throw it out there.

Keep well.

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if they'll suggest destinations/stopovers/etc. It wouldn't hurt to ask them but then again that does require more "work" ... so I do not think the stnd fees would apply. It's almost like you're asking for a Award Travel Concierge & not a Award Travel Agent. (That's the best analogy I could think of).

If you don't really have a specific destination in mind, want to goto Europe, & have Star Alliance miles. You might want to look into this tool by WA.
    http://boardingarea.com/thewanderingaramean/2013/07/making-the-anywhere-search-a-bit-better/

Just put in a date, how many people & boom. It shows you your availability on the first leg across the Atlantic.

5. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mathew at upgrad.com is good at A awards, write him a note and tell him your needs.

6. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    I'm going to use Lucky this time. Thanks for the PMs and suggestions all.

edekba likes this.
  7. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    do report back how it went