Which are the Most Exceptional Fairmont Hotels?

Discussion in 'Fairmont | President's Club' started by Lighthouse, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my stays at different Fairmont hotels I have found some of their hotels extraordinary with large tall ceilinged classical rooms and suites with stunning views.
    I am extremely interested in what hotels in the Fairmont group other members feel combine extraordinary architecture, beauty and views well worth the trip?
    My experience is there are some hotels that while extremely well appointed with excellent service you could basically be anywhere. I have really come to appreciate those hotels where you look out the window and know you are in the Canadian Rockies or London. They can be urban or resort hotels; historic or brand new. I hope we can use this thread to cull out the very most distinctive hotels in Fairmont's portfolio around the world that are worth a special trip.
    One of the attractive features of the Fairmont Hotels is that some of their hotels complement each other and are proximate and are conducive to a unique destination travel experience. To initiate the discussion I have composed a very subjective top 10-15 hotel/destination list. In the four destination locations mentioned below I have anchored the group with what I perceive as the most extraordinary of the hotels. This of course is a very subjective draft list but I would appreciate commentary on whether the hotels on this list really deserve to be on this list and in what order. I will continue to update this list as additional members provide their input.

1) Banff Springs with side trip to Chateau Lake Louise and/or Jasper Park

2) London- Savoy Hotel

3) New York- The Plaza

4) Le Chateau Frontenac with side trip to Le Manoir Richelieu

5) The Montreux Palace

6) Vancouver - Pacific Rim and/or Waterfront

7) San Francisco Fairmont (tower) with side trip to Sonoma Mission Inn

8) Seattle - The Olympic

9) Shanghai - Peace Hotel

10) Hawaii - the Orchid

2. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Fairmont Battery Wharf in Boston is one of my favorites. Redevelopment of a site on the water in the North End the hotel is new, the architecture is modern, but it still looks like it belongs in Boston. It's an extremely pleasant, relaxing place to be and the harbor views are wonderful. Taking the water taxi from Logan Airport directly to the dock at the hotel is a good start for a visit. From the hotel you can walk along the harbor on sidewalks as far as Institute of Contemporary Art. As expected at a Fairmont, the staff is outstanding.

(BTW, I don't think I would put the Seattle Olympic on my list. Only been there once, but room was decidedly substandard, internet did not work in room and staff was unable to help. However, another visit could be completely different.)

Fiji likes this.
  3. My favourite is easily the Jasper Park Lodge. Many of the rooms face Lac Beauvert which is beautiful in both the summer and winter. The mountains are amazing and peaceful. There a great golf course and a new spa (which I haven't tried yet). Staff are amazing as well. Great location and great property!

4. bsaced
    Original Member

bsaced Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fairmont Sonoma for the breakfast at their restaurant across the street.

5. My favorite hotel in any chain is the Fairmont YVR. Outstanding rooms, views, and lounge.

legalalien, ACPanda and Fiji like this.
  6. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love the historic Fairmont properties.

The Empress, Banff Springs, Chateau Montebello, Plaza and Norfolk (Nairobi) come to mind as a few of my favorite stays. Each of them conjurs up memories of famous past guests & events.

Must admit I've attended far too many rubber chicken dinners at the Royal York, Chateau Laurier, Queen Elizabeth and even the Chateau Frontenac to consider these in the same class as the above. Although, except for Montreal, they're all classically iconic structures, at least from the outside.

Cheers,

inukshuk and Fiji like this.
  7. philcape
    Original Member

philcape Silver Member

Status Points:
    If architecture and views are the main criteria I suppose the Fairmont Beijing is subject to debate. (Though I would argue both are pure Beijng.) So it seems to me it would be a travesty if Fairmont Beijing didn't make it onto this list. It is an exceptional hotel by any standards.

AMRivlin and Lighthouse like this.
  8. Noticed Fiji likes practically all posts in this thread except mine - what's not to like about the JPL?!?!

Fiji likes this.
  9. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quank,
    My oversight I like the JPL and your post.

pearl girl and quank like this.
  10. Jasper2009
    Original Member

Jasper2009 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I´d pretty much agree with your list.

My favourity properties probably are:

Fairmont Pacific Rim (everything´s great about this property [​IMG])
    Jasper Park Lodge (exceptional staff, great location)
    Fairmont San Francisco (tower and main building balcony suite only)

I´d probably also include the Fairmont Singapore (only stayed there once, but had a great stay), the Fairmont Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg (arguably the best hotel in Hamburg, very nice rooms after being renovated a few years ago) and the Fairmont Empress (some rooms are a little tired, but the service is excellent)

Fiji likes this.
  11. inukshuk
    Original Member

inukshuk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've enjoyed my stays at Banff Springs, Montebello, and also St. Andrews in New Brunswick (though it is a bit off the beaten path).

Agree about Chateau Laurier about both the architecture and the food.

12. My favorites are the Banff Springs and Chateau Lake Louise. Truly exceptional beauty out the windows!

Fiji likes this.
  13. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Vierjahreszeiten in Hamburg!

Fiji likes this.
  14. ACPanda
    Original Member

ACPanda Active Member

Status Points:
    I had excellent experiences at both Hawaii properties and the locations are paradise.

Tivoboy likes this.
  15. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agreed, both the Kea Lani and the Orchid are quite nice. They aren't the Four Seasons, but are very nice and with a suite upgrade and ocean view provide excellent value

16. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    And one the most unique amenities I've seen in a hotel: a telescope. Maybe I was supposed to use it to look at the stars...but I found earthly targets (the terminal and the airplanes) to be far more entertaining.

17. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Norfolk Nairobi

Love the veranda.

18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Empress, Victoria.

19. raysian
    Original Member

raysian Silver Member

Status Points:
    My favorite is the Fairmont Montreux Palace, in Montreux Switzerland

20. Jasper2009
    Original Member

Jasper2009 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, I´ve never been there, one reason being some people telling me it´s not worth the money.

Would you mind sharing what you like about the hotel?

21. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rooms are classically beautiful ( tall ceilings, elegantly furnished) and if you have a deluxe room or suite in the front of the hotel you have a stunning view of The Alps and lake Geneva with the ferries touring the lake. It's weakness is a staff that tries but seems not well trained.

22. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tivoboy, I agree but question whether either should be on this particular list. I have a separate thread discussing the most exceptional hotels in Hawaii which I feel are much nicer than these hotels (the same way some other Fairmont hotels leave their competitors in the dust).

23. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yeah, where is that best hotels in HI thread?

24. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Destination Travel ---under Hawaii, Would appreciate your thoughts on the list.

25. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bobofoosh likes this.