Which airline should I choose?

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by DesertRose, Mar 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking at an AA partner award from MEL-HKG. I have a choice of QF First Class for 45k miles (on a 744) or CX Business Class for 35k miles (on an A330).

Which would you pick?

I'm leaning towards the CX J for the return because a) I've never flown CX in a premium cabin before, b) I will get to fly in QF F on my outbound flight and c) it's 10k fewer miles.

But I wanted to check and see if anyone thought the QF F service would be such a drastic improvement over CX J that I should choose it for the return, too.

gomike and jbcarioca like this.
  2. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If QF flew the A380 MEL-HKG I would pay the 10k in a heartbeat, the 747 less so. The soft product is the same but the hard product on the A380 is so much better.

CX J is very good and the beds are true lie flat, albeit MEL-HKG is still the old thin beds (CX has just started replacing these seats but so far only SYD-HKG). As a solo-traveler pick a K-side seat - less busy.

Without knowing your status, the only other benefit of F (if not oneworld emerald) would be access to the very good QF F Lounge pre-flight.

DesertRose and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    QF F on the 744 is very very nice also, but not a match for CX. I would do it on QF if that's the choice. If the A380 better yet.

DesertRose likes this.
  4. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you both for the feedback. It turns out schedule and connecting flights are probably going to be the determining factor - I don't have as much flexibility as I originally thought. C'est la vie.

gomike likes this.