Which airline reward program and credit card program is for me?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by pinkchicken212, Aug 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. pinkchicken212

pinkchicken212 Member

Status Points:
    I just got a new job that requires traveling within the USA once a week. I will be paying for the tickets myself with my own credit card but the company will reimburse me. This means I will get to pick which airline as well as get points on my credit card.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what's the best airline reward and what's credit card should I sign up for? I want to score mad points to redeem for personal travel for my vacations. Thanks in advance.

vickers likes this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    First and foremost, figure out what airline or airlines are viable options for your travel patterns. What might be the "best" FF program might be unusable if the airline doesn't go where you need to go on a convenient schedule.

Then figure out what you want from the program - both in terms of benefits you will enjoy(and depend) on on a weekly basis, as well as redemption options. If you're flying that much the week-in, week-out experience will matter a lot. And if you're traveling that much you will likely not have any problem building up points.

satman40 and vickers like this.
  3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you fly 1 airline, and it works for your earning and redemption plan, you may want to book on that airline's credit card. Depending on the airline/card, each offers its own benefits.

If you find yourself flying between several airlines, or if you just want the flexibility of points transfer, I would recommend these 2 cards:

American Express Premier Rewards Gold:
    3x MR points on tickets purchased directly with airline
    $100 Airline Reimbursement annually
    $195 annual fee, waived the first year

Chase Sapphire Preferred:
    2x UR points on travel
    $95 annual fee, waived the first year

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    satman40 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  4. pinkchicken212

pinkchicken212 Member

Status Points:
    This is a stupid question, but what is MR and UR?

vickers likes this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    no problem. you can also double click on the phrases and terms that are unfamiliar and a definition will popup in the upper-right section of the screen.