Which Aircraft For TATL?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Pizzaman, Jul 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm an AA elite contemplating a TATL on BA from IAD to LHR. When I look at the options, I see the route is served by 3 flights that work for me, all of which have different equipment (747, 767, 777).

I'm planning to purchase World Traveller Plus and attempt to use Avios to upgrade to Business.

Any insight on which equipment to focus on for the best seats/chance of upgrade?

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely 747 in Business (pref. the upper level).

xhunter33x likes this.
  3. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Best seats
    If you know you can upgrade to Club before you are committed to which aircraft type, then definitely 747 upper deck, as M7VO says.

If you have to confirm in WT+ and then play the waiting game to see whether you will or will not be able to upgrade to Club, then the 767 provided that you do not require a window seat. This is because in the 2-2-2 WT+ configuration, both seats in the middle pair are aisle seats.

If you do then manage to upgrade to Club, the same applies to the middle pair in Club on the 767 (and you can choose between the forward-facing seat and the aft-facing seat). Alternatively, uniquely on the 767 there's a choice of forward-facing or aft-facing window seats if you prefer a window (on all other mainline aircraft types, all long-haul Club World window seats are aft-facing). The main downside is that the 767 still has New Club World (and this will not change), albeit with refurbished seats, while both of the other types have the newer seat: Next Generation Club World.

Best chance of upgrade
    How good are your dice throwing skills?

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Whichever aircraft you can confirm at booking on.

Wandering Aramean and desamo like this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm a New York Italian who's grandmother's maiden name was Gambino. Not necessarily great dice throwing skills but the lineage has good history "winning" at such games. :)

Thanks for all the info. Nothing is confirmable right now, so just trying to figure out which is the best product to shoot for.

Wandering Aramean and guberif like this.
  6. paladinua

paladinua Silver Member

Status Points:

Which did you choose?

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I ended up choosing the new 77W on AA. Upgrade looked more likely and the flights were too expensive on BA in World Traveller Plus to justify the extra expense. Going to have to wait some more for my first BA TATL.

paladinua likes this.
  8. paladinua

paladinua Silver Member

Status Points:

Looks like a nicer business class product... FWIW, I flew the old First in January, and the service was uninspiring (granted they were probably just as uninspired by the old, weathered, fraying interior too).

9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have booked WT, O-class fare on 787s and 744s. As an ExecPlat AA elite I was preassigned the aisle first row of the three seat bank on the left side of economy on all four segments. The other seats in these rows show as blocked, so are these restricted to BA/OW elites? Are these really good seats on these aircraft. I normally am not a fan of the bulkhead row in economy as all three seats tend to be taken by those who do like the extra leg room and I'd be happier finding a likely seat where I'd have an empty centre one.

So what are recommendations for best seats in economy on these planes?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  10. xhunter33x

xhunter33x Silver Member

Status Points:
    100% agree...just came back from Copenhagen via Heathrow and was on a AA codeshare flight from Heathrow to Vegas and the upper deck on BA was excellent. I had brought my mom with me and she got so sick that she was in the hospital from the date of return (Nov 29th) until New Year's Eve. The flight crew was unbelievable. The service on that flight was better than I received when I flew on Concorde to Paris. That flight was the best part of an otherwise rotten trip. Reminds me, I think I will write a letter thanking them. :) Have a safe and trip!

MX likes this.
  11. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that one way is via ba.com/welldone.