Which *A program should my friends join?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Jenny & Curt, Feb 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, folks,

I have some Hungarian friends, currently living in Sweden, who are coming to visit California in April/May 2012. I purchased their air tickets on .bomb for travel on Continental Airlines. They have asked me to recommend which Star Alliance loyalty program they should join and credit the miles to. They are husband, wife, 5 year-old and lap infant. Much of their travel is intra-Europe, but they love to travel and have visited the Middle East a couple of times. They usually fly WizzAir, but we all though collecting miles would not be a bad thing since they're making such a long journey. The flights have booked into 'K' class. I want to have them join soon so I can add their FFNs to the reservation. Thanks for your suggestions!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are advantages to using the FF program of the airline you mostly fly, which would probably be SAS. Otherwise, A3, TK, OZ or maybe LH would be natural choices.

3. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    With UA K buckets they will not earn much (%25 :eek:) with SK's Eurobonus program. If they generally fly on the cheapest tickets and they don't fly a whole lot, then I strongly believe the best programs to accumulate miles in are UA, or US if they can play Grand Slam, and AS. That should cover them on most flights they will ever take.

4. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm afraid this is not enough information to make a real decision - all the posters above are correct by saying that K class gets little miles. But the other side of the equation is what kind of redemption they aspire to. The redemption tables differ between the different airlines, and some even between the same airline depending on the country you use as your address (and you be surprised how long this one can stick around).

So without knowing what they plan to use the miles for, it is hard to know where to put them as well.

5. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very good point. I've just asked them that question. I'll let y'all know what they're dreaming of. I suspect probably intra-Europe flights is the best they'll be able to save for.

6. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    They'll probably get flamed with that answer, it is usually a very bad value to use miles for short intra-European flights (unless you use Avios). The "free" ticket can end up costing more than paid ticket for such redemption.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    They might get more value trying to use the miles for upgrades, especially if they're looking at high fare class tickets anyway.