Which *A lounge is the best at each airport?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by kiwi, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best is subject as we all have different preferences. Some people look for showers, others food & drink, some computers, others peace and quiet. Some lounges have great fringe benefits (outside the norm).

While a lot of travellers have no choice in the lounge available - no access at all or only 1 lounge is available, there are some airports with multiple *A lounges. At those airports, which *A lounge is the best (and why)?

Airports with multiple *A lounges
    North America
    South America
    Europe
    Middle East and Africa
    Asia
    Australasia

Updated to post #59

MarkUK likes this.
  2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I will start this discussion off with one of the classics that every United flier should be familiar with, the LH Senator lounge at IAD. In addition to being in a permanent terminal, the lounge is quiet, has a wonderful view of the tarmac and the main terminal building, good food selection, and wonderful clean general facilities (especially compared to any of the Red Carpet Clubs at IAD)

FWFDAN and goalie like this.
  3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    NB some may not be accessible to all due to being in different terminals (as noted).

Incomplete list (to be populated), with preferred lounge bolded (and link to reason):

North America
    Boston (BOS) - CO (A) | UA (C) | US (B) | LH (E)

Chicago (ORD) - LX (T5) | SK (T5) | UA (T1 gate B18) (also T1 gate B6, T1 gate C16, T2 gate F3) + T1/2/3 connected, not T5

Denver (DEN) - UA (gate B32, B44)

Houston (IAH) - CO (gate E11) (also A9, Bsouth, C24, C33)

Los Angeles (LAX) - *A (TBIT) | AC (T2) | CO (T6) | NZ (T2) | UA (T6/7/8) | US (T1)

New York JFK (JFK) - LH (T1) | LX (T4) | UA (T7)

New York La Guardia (LGA) - CO (A) | UA (B, outside security) | US (C)

Newark (EWR) - CO (A2, C1 & C3) | LH (B3) | SK (B3) | UA (A1) + B pier separate, others connected by airside bus

Philadelphia (PHL) - UA (btwn C&D) | US (btwn B&C) | US (F) + all connected (F by bus)

San Francisco (SFO) - CO | SQ (int) | UA | UA (int) + SQ & 2 UA are connected

Seattle (SEA) - CO (B) | UA (north)

Washington Dulles (IAD) - LH | UA

Washington Reagan (DCA) - CO (B) | UA (center) | US (north) + center & north are connected by bus

MGU likes this.
  4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    NB some may not be accessible to all due to being in different terminals (as noted).

Incomplete list (to be populated), with preferred lounge bolded (and link to reason):

South America

5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:

Europe
    Brussels (BRU) - SK (A) | SN (A) | SN (B) | SN sunrise (T)

Copenhagen (CPH) - SK (Scandanavian) | SK (business)

Frankfurt (FRA) - business (1A) | tower (1A) | business (1B) | SEN (1B) | SEN (1C) + all connected airside

London Heathrow (LHR) - *A (T1) | AC/SK (T3) | BD Great British (T1) | BD London Room (T1 domestic) | SQ (T3)

Oslo (OSL) - SK (Scandanavian) | SK (business)

Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) - *A (T1) | AC (T2A) | LH (T1) | UA (T1)

Stockholm (ARN) - SK (Scandanavian) | SK (business)

Vienna (VIE) - business | SEN

flospi likes this.
  6. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:

Middle East and Africa

7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:

Asia
    Bangkok (BKK) - SQ | TG

Hong Kong (HKG) - SQ | TG | UA

Manila (MNL) - SQ | TG

Singapore (SIN) - SATS (T2) | SQ*G (T3) + T1/2/3 are all connected airside

Tokyo Narita (NRT) - NH (T1sat4) | NH (T1sat5) | UA (T1sat3)

8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:

Australasia
    Brisbane (BNE) - NZ | SQ

Melbourne (MEL) - NZ | SQ | UA

Sydney (SYD) - NZ | SQ + more votes for NZ

9. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    In SYD I prefer the SQ lounge, mainly because I know the people there quite well! They are very kind and helpful to me (and my family).

savydog likes this.
  10. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    BKK: SQ, TG.
    SQ SKL (*G,concourse A), TG (business lounge, concourse D) TG (*G,concourse C/E) : I'm a fan of the SQ lounge (*G) more than the TG lounges. Good food, decent drink selection, ice cream, fresh coconuts. No toilets/showers. Good wifi. For showers the TG C/E lounge is it. TG has improved their food options, but still mostly snack style. TG has better booze selection.

SIN: SATS (T2), KrisGold (T3).
    Neither is great but for the *G in Y these are the options. SATS (T2) has a showers/toilet and closes at 1:30AM (?). KrisGold is 24/7 with no showers/toilet, but they are around the corner across from the outside smoking area.

11. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Updated to post #10

12. Alect
    Original Member

Alect Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very useful for me as I am flying through BKK in May with the mrs and just assumed the TG lounges would be the best given it's their hub - alas seemingly no? I thought I read somewhere that TG J/C lounge has massages?

savydog likes this.
  13. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    If flying in first then TG is definitely the place to go. Can't beat the spa and fantastic service.

Of course the SQ lounge may not be particularly convenient to your gate (only 1 lounge vs several TG ones).

14. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which reminds me, of the BKK TG lounges is there a preference for any particular one(s)?

15. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    LHR Terminal 1:
    The BD London Room is the best choice in terms of interior and drinks, but if you're hungry, you should stick to the *A Lounge. Usually there's a nice hot meal. Showers are availiable in both lounges, but haven't tested them yet.

LIS:
    The TP Premium Lounge (*G) is wonderful. Only cold food though, but it tastes very good. Setting and space is also good. (One) shower is availiable.

VIE:
    The OS Business Lounge (C and *G) has a nice view upon the apron and is kinda large. It also has got some relaxing chairs. The OS SEN Lounge (*G) offers more food choices and is very small. Only go there if you're very hungry.

FRA:
    All LH Schengen Lounges (A-gates) are bad and overcrowded. If you got much time to spare, it's worth walking to the C-gates to the SEN-lounge there. Roomy and a better choice of food, sometimes also with a noodle soup stand.

kiwi likes this.
  16. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just learned to multi-quote! [​IMG]

Yes, if you're flying TG J/C then you would want to get your 30 min massage in. I prefer the SQ lounge to TG however for killing time.

Absolutely, the TG F lounge is the place to be. I assumed that we were talking more about a generalized 'where to go as *G' scenario. If you're in *A F there's no better place than drinking Moet and having food to order in the TG F lounge.

I don't really have a preference for TG lounges and will just go to the one closest to my gate. The SQ lounge is far from the E concourse, but it takes about 12 minutes to walk the distance and I'd rather do that shortly before departure than spend more time in the TG E lounges.

17. Alect
    Original Member

Alect Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have several hours layover in BKK (in fact probably going into the city to do some shopping). Do all of the TG C lounges offer massages? How does one book one?

savydog likes this.
  18. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    30 minute massages are offered for pax departing in TG C. TG F pax get a 60 min massage.

19. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    HKG: TG, UA, SQ. I've never been to the SQ lounge, but the UA RCC must be the best in their system. TG lounge is also very nice with an open feel over the concourse.

20. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    NRT: NH (50's), NH (40's) UA. Both NH lounges are nice, but the one in the 50's area is on an upper floor with views over the tarmac. Toward the back is typically empty with an area set aside for sake and soju. I prefer the UA F lounge over NH. Showers in both NH and UA lounges are fine, UA was better when offering H20 shower kits, but that is no longer.

21. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for contributing. At this rate it won't be long before we have all airports with multiple *A lounges covered.

I'll update the reference posts tomorrow.

22. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    In LAX I believe the CO PC is in T6, not T5.

23. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is correct, as all CO operations are in T6

24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The CO lounge at LAX is in T6. US also has a lounge in T2 at LAX last I looked.
    DCA has CO, UA and US lounges but each is in a different security area. Ditto for BOS.And LGA has all three as well.
    SEA & EWR have UA and CO.
    JFK has LX & UA, plus partner lounges for most *A carriers.
    PHL & PHX have UA/US.

25. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. This is corrected now.
    IIRC US uses T1 at LAX, not T2. I've added US lounge to the LAX list.