Where's the love UA?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by hulagrrl210, Dec 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A lot of interesting stuff going on at American like Double EQM's this month and next, and now they appear to be bumping people up to Platinum who are just shy of the requirement.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/is-aa-upgrading-people-for-some-reason.24785/

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/bump-to-platinum.24791/

So where's the love from United? All they've is offer one crappy match to an earlier AA double EQM promo SFO/LAX-ORD, but with fare restrictions :mad:, I doubt they will match the other EQM promo and I HIGHLY doubt I can look forward to having my 1P status extended for another year like people over at American, eventhough we have the same numbers (roughly about 40,000 EQM).

Surely I can't be the only slightly disgruntled United peep out there who is a little frustrated with the merger/ new Mileage Plus program/ United in general/ slightly jealous/ moderately tempted to defect to the dAArkside, right?

AZjohn, demkr, Jubileesmom and 2 others like this.
  2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there is a plus side to *not* having the DEQM promotion on United -- it doesn't dilute the statuses. If you were going to make 1K anyway (or 1P or 2P), you don't really want it to be made easier for others...as selfish as that sounds.

Though, WN just announced double tier points on flights booked from today through the end of the year...so maybe there will have something very targeted. UA also has the extremely limited double RDM promo going on too.

AZjohn, demkr, TrippePanAM and 2 others like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, those who don't benefit from a certain promo (or worse) would naturally prefer the promo to not be offered. Yes, it's selfish, but also understandable. Just like it's understandable that the OP is looking for UA to match AA's "love".

Personally, I don't think the dilution effect from a DEQM promo is measurable by the average flyer.

If UA were to run a DEQM promo, I might aim to renew 1K. Without it (or another exciting/worthwhile promo) I will likely drop to Platinum (or worse).

4. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is the advantage of the higher status? you only get 25% more RDM, no upgrades....on yeah I forgot you can atleast reserve E+ while booking

TrippePanAM likes this.
  5. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree on the first paragraph. Besides, AA is pretty much begging for people to stay. I'd say if you're fed up with another airline, this would be an excellent time to status match to AA.

Southwest's thing might be more PR-related, given the news about the stranded UM making the rounds.

AZjohn, DCA Rob and genemk2 like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Very doubtful. I hadn't even heard about that story until I read your post (and there is no thread in the WN forum here, AFAIK), so I very much doubt that they responded that quickly with this promo. And what kind of weird response is that anyway? ;)

AZjohn, TrippePanAM and Captain Oveur like this.
  8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Business lesson #1, in my limited experience from playing Monopoly and Risk, is that when your competitors start begging for mercy, you know you're winning. Don't give it, don't match it, just keep doing what you're doing and take what opportunities arise.

kwidhalm, mht_flyer, AZjohn and 2 others like this.
  9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agree.

But I have to say that for all the bickering, mostly seen on FT, this would be a golden opportunity for the people who dislike UA so much to go to AA.

I did consider an AA status match. I don't like all the changes on UA, but it's still the best thing for me.

10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not sure I understand the context of the last sentence.

11. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mostly E+ seating especially when my husband and other family members will still all be 1P and getting seats together is going to be a PIA. I also will miss the RDM bonus, even if it is only 25% after they cut it. Miles are miles.

The only reason I'm not re-qualifying with United this year (or flying American) is because I am about 8 months pregnant and really shouldn't be out mileage running at the moment (and I do openly admit that being stuck at home adds to my frustration):mad:.

I personally don't think that having a double EQM promo or doing what American is doing by bumping up a few elites on an individual basis who wouldn't otherwise qualify would really dilute the program. I think the average general member isn't even aware when promos are going on half the time, and unless someone is already close enough to gaining/re-gaining a certain status, I doubt they would spend the time and money to do it. Most people out there aren't mileage runners like us.

On the flip side, I think when the airlines have promos targeted at mostly elites (I mean seriously, do you think you average United mileage plus general member even knows what EQM stands for?) it shows a tremendous amount of goodwill and encourages important and loyal customers to continue doing business with the airline.

kwidhalm, HiIslands, cvsara and 6 others like this.
  12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In that case, I don't see anything wrong in attaching a picture of the ultrasound and mentioning your situation.

At that point, I think they would look at your past. If you have been a regular 1P, that might have some clout for you.

And congratulations on the baby!

HiIslands, cvsara, kyunbit and 4 others like this.
  13. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, and that is actually a good idea! I might do it. "Dear Customer Relations..."

14. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    But who wants to go join a bunch of whiners? Those of us who remain can enjoy our newly thinned, and more sensibly minded, compatriots on UA. [sarcasm alert, please no flames about the merger or AA apologists :eek: ]

15. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agree on all points there....but I do believe that businesses, such as AA and UA need to earn our business. And while the bar has been lowered by all airlines, hat UA offers is best for my travel needs and what they have to offer.

While I get irritated by chronic complainers about things like pillows and lime wedges who threaten to leave (please do, by the way), it makes total sense to objectively assess things and contemplate going over to another airline given how things do change.

HiIslands, thegrailer, AZjohn and 2 others like this.
  16. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have found both CO and UA flight attendants to be remarkably friendly and helpful when I ask for extra lime in my gin and tonics. There are solutions to every problem, even incredibly tiny lime wedges. ;)

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    indeed...

... I'll ask them for a few extra lime wedges for lumbar support then, since that's what I used the pillows for.

;)

Seacarl, Travelsavant and hulagrrl210 like this.
  18. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always stuck with United because in the past they have always been the best for my travel needs. Now, I'm not so sure and in fact I'm pretty sure they're not anymore, especially at the mid-tier or lower-tier levels. The only reason I'm sticking around (at least for now) is because of my lifetime status and being fairly close to MM. It would be really stupid to just walk away at this point.

Obviously, United isn't matching AA because they probably feel they don't have to, but maybe they should. If it wasn't for that lifetime status, I'd probably be long gone, and surely the vast majority of other mid and lower tier elites out there aren't that close to MM for that to be the primary reason they are staying. I couldn't care less about how my lime is cut, and I even "borrowed" a few nice UA blankets to use on their flights in the future if they do indeed switch to the CO ones, but the 1P cut in bonus RDM's and the Silver/E+/24 hour thing are kind of a big deal to me. Beyond that though it is just a general feeling that they couldn't care less about my business anymore.

I've kinda known for a little while (or at least since joining AS) that there are indeed better programs/products/service out there than at United, but I hung around anyway. Now its increasingly frustrating to see elites over at AA (once an airline I'd never even consider next to UA) with the same number of EQM's getting to participate in fun promos and getting bumped up to higher tiers, when I am essentially getting my benefits stripped at United.

Travelsavant likes this.
  19. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I, unfortunately, am in the unenviable position of being tied to United, even with the devaluation, because I fly most often to HKG and PEK (and Asia) from the West Coast, to/from which AA does not have good service. Otherwise, I agree, if I was only at 1P, I would consider switching to another carrier (although I still think UA's lie flat business class is better than AA's, which would be a big factor for int'l travel).

TrippePanAM and Travelsavant like this.
  20. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    well said.... the Key to watch is what Delta does. right now Delta appears to be starting a two front war with United and AA . On a side note I remember playing both of those games:)

Jubileesmom and Travelsavant like this.
  21. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    They say never to start a land war in Asia, but the thing is, if you can pull it off, you can win a six person game in under two hours. :cool:

22. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    funny and I like it and if i may add, the whining is only going to get worse over at AA. I am sticking with UA.

Was I sad to she the inconic logo of united disppear? sure a little bit

But I am getting use to the new logo and it is ok actually

United is my airline. I encourage my fellow disgruntled united fliers to go jump onboard the Titanic (qed AA) maybe they have added enough lifeboats for everyone now. :oops: did I really just say that about AA

Jubileesmom likes this.
  23. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    hmmmm...... interesting idea your making me want to play risk

:eek:.....Asia is where delta appears to have declared war on united.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  24. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect UA's load factors for the coming 2-3 months are strong enough for them not to dilute MP any more than it has too.

25. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, I'll stack my LH troops in europe....lets roll!