Where would you earn 150k EQMs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, Nov 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I expect to start the new year with UA Plat, DL Gold & AA Plat. I also expect to fly 150k miles next year. If you had the option of picking exactly how you wanted to allocate your EQMs, how would you in 2012?

cordray2643 and Santander like this.
  2. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    I expect to fly 200k next year. I plan to put 100k in UA (1K), 60k in CX (Gold) and 40k either in AC (E) or CZ (Silver). I'm still torn between going for 1K on UA or renewing SE on AC though, I may reverse them and go SE on AC and 1P on UA.

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA seems to have more DEQM promos lately, and DL's new award change policy (on top of SkyPesos) strikes me as a big negative. So I would allocate 100K to UA and 50K to AA, with the hope that the 50K BIS on AA earns more than 50K EQM.

4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would be a good option if the OP RLS wishes to stay in the Star family. The benefit of a non-US * carrier is you will get access to lounges when flying domestically (and not have to purchase a United Club membership). If using AC, remember the 4 segments of 10K on AC rule for qualification.

If you are planning to double down on UA exclusively, you would end up getting 2 more SWUs and 4 CR1s in your bank. You may also wish to consider staying with UA for all if your spend is close to the GS mark ($40K?)

5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I didn't know about the benefit of getting lounge access when having a non-US *A elite status. Does this work even on itineraries that are for 100% in the US and even if you are attributing the flight miles to the UA account?

In the past, I may have doubled down on UA but I don't think I would at this point as I've already got the 100% bonus on DL & AA and don't find much value in the SWU's due to the high cost of international W fares to use them.

It's interesting that the responses so far have been weighted towards UA and *A. Does anyone else out there think DL Diamond or AA ExecPlat is better than UA 1K? I see DL with 125% bonus miles and SkyClub membership quite valuable. I also see AA ExecPlat having useful system-wide upgrades as a benefit that is truly useful.

What about the value of maintaining *A Gold, OW Sapphire & ST Elite+ by splitting the miles evenly across all 3 carriers? This ensures that I maintain the 100% mileage bonus on AA & DL, and lounge access on all international travel.

6. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, if you have *G status with any non-US carrier, you get *G lounge access at all United/CO and US Airways lounges, even for all-domestic US itineraries.

7. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I never knew that. Thanks!!

8. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup, that's why so many people with a surplus of miles try to get *G status in programs with relatively low thresholds, like Aegean (20k), bmi (38k), and AC (35k).

9. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And this works even if you have your UA account listed to receive the miles for the trip? I would think they would only allow it if you put the Aegean number on the itinerary.

10. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe you should be able to access the lounge regardless if you have the *G card of the non-US carrier.