Where will you burn your HHonors points?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Boraxo, Feb 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    My normal reaction to the category devaluations is - meh - something that is beyond my control and happens across all chains with regularity. I know it's not good to bank points, but I see no reason to use them in absence of a good redemption value, particularly as it takes me some time to accumulate them. And good redemption opportunities are rare, with young children and annual timeshare vacations with the "grandparents."

But this time it feels different. The devaluation is massive for the top city properties that I've been looking to visit at some future date. So I've decided to liquidate my current balance of 200k+, the only question is where? Considering ski resorts (Park City, Tahoe) and NYC) but a bit depressed as SPG and Marriott have better properties in all these locations plus Aspen & Vail. Europe is a possibility, but that would require more logistical planning, you generally would not book rooms before the airfare.

So where do you plan to burn your HHonors points?

mtlfire, iolaire and uggboy like this.
  2. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only one redemption actually booked so far: an AXON7 award at the Hilton Bently in South Beach, FL; 145,000 points.

There were two sets of dates that I was conducting recon on--one set of four where the AAA rate was $999/night for a King Deluxe Studio and one set where the AAA rate was $369/night for same.

I was hoping for the $999/night dates because that would have given me a redemption value of about 1.9 cents/point according to my personal valuation calculations. And that would have been neat. As it was, those dates didn't work out with the GF's schedule and so we're booked in for the $369 dates (about .9 cents/point). I doesn't bother me since the $999 was an obvious spring break inflation price (i.e., the $369 rate is much closer to the normal rate for that room), and the dates that we booked might increase the probability of an upgrade. Additionally, I think I still got a very good redemption valuation for a Hilton, even pre-D-Day.

B1BomberVB, iolaire and uggboy like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I redeem just once a year for personal travel, usually shelling out over 400K HH points, for 2-4 weeks at the end of the year (Dec-Jan), almost invariably to visit several Asian cities/countries, where status recognition is still worth its weight in Diamonds...:)

B1BomberVB, iolaire, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  4. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am similar. Since most of my hotel stays are domestic and business generated, I have little say in where I am staying, (although I have put my foot down when booked into roach motels). I find that HH's benefits far outweigh the points in these cases. So I use my points when traveling overseas. In most cases, hotel rooms are very expensive and the points eliminate that expense. But moreover, being a Diamond at a large Hilton property overseas is very valuable in the added extras such as Lounge access, Breakfasts and room upgrades.

I have booked a weeks worth of 5* hotels in Seoul and Tokyo for around 300K points and saved around $2000. It is worth it to me. These points may be "worth less" than before the devaluation, but they certainly are not "worthless" ;)

NYCUA1K, iolaire and uggboy like this.
  5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly I'm still saving those (350 K+) for when I want an inspirational type award, or just until they will save my butt for an expensive stay. Trips to Bora Bora or something just to get a good deal doesn’t seem that interesting. I’ll have to hope that whenever we end up using the points we are going in shoulder season…

B1BomberVB, NYCUA1K and newbluesea like this.
  6. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish I had 125K to grab an AXON for 4 nights in Munich during Oktoberfest!

uggboy likes this.
  7. Bill N DC

Bill N DC Active Member

Status Points:
    I have upgraded rooms (more points) at WA on the Bund Shanghai for my $3K AA First Class mileage run, then Hong Kong Conrad for my RTW trip in October. Have 75K left. I do think I'm switching to SPG (Gold with AmEx Plat) and Hyatt with MP Plus

uggboy likes this.
  8. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got lucky in planning an event at the Conrad Bali before the devaluation. Will be burning 900k across 6 rooms and only have 30k left at this point. However, I'll still be staying at Hilton's occassionally based upon their promos... such as the current 2x miles for 2k VS miles per 1 nt stay.

uggboy likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are in complete synch on this one, especially about the savings that one realizes, even after the devaluation. The savings in hard cold cash ($2K in your case, but I usually realize more) is additional money in your pocket that you can use to spice up and enhance a personal vacation.:)

uggboy likes this.
  10. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    525,000 points used for 14 days at the Conrad in the Maldives in early 2014. Leaves me with around 200,000 left that I might or might not book before the changes.

uggboy and icurhere2 like this.
  11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Burned 80K points for 2 nights at the Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-Ville.

uggboy and autolycus like this.
  12. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reserved Conrad Maldives for 8 days in early 2015 as a backup plan. We'll see in another year or so if we still plan on pursuing that!

mtlfire, uggboy and eponymous_coward like this.
  13. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    50k for me at Conrad Hongkong for a 1nt stay for my stopover in hkg end of March.

14. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    So far 6 nights at Conrad Maldives for 37500/night in Jan 2014. I thank Hilton for forcing me to get off my lazy butt and use up a good chunk of my points plus my UA miles to get there :)

15. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    7 nights at the Waldorf at the Canyons Resort in Utah

eponymous_coward likes this.
  16. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just as a note, unless you are taking advantage of the GLON or AXON redemptions, you may want to break your reservations into individual night bookings in case your plans may change by just a day or two. The reason is that if you make a change in the future, often times, the HHonors booking engine will recalculate the new parameters of your stay which might utilize the higher cost.

As a result, your 3 night stay being cut to a 2 night stay could lead to no stay at all if there is a significant increase in points required. Better off with 3 x 1 nt awards so that you can easily cancel the front or back end of your stay if your plans change.

17. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never thought of this. I put all 14 days in the Maldives on one reservation using GLON, but I could still break it up a bit. Can the diamond desk break this apart or simpler just to cancel, wait for the points and redo?

autolycus and eponymous_coward like this.
  18. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Since you have access to the Diamond desk, I would utilize them. I had some issues recently trying to make changes to reservations and having the points post back incorrectly and then have the reservations not truly changed. I had to end up cancelling the entire reservation and starting from scratch which was annoying and when I called regular customer service, they were not helpful.

mtlfire and autolycus like this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I booked an Axon for the Hilton Dubai Creek. The remaining points (I actually have to stock them up a bit either via VRs or Hawaiian transfer) will likely be used for a Hilton Shanghai trip. And I have an idea for my wife's near 50k points, too. That would bring us to 9 free HHonors nights for around 300,000 points.

20. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Beautiful tip, thanks!

21. royce242

royce242 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just booked 4 nights at the HIlton Cape Town City Centre hotel for only 25,500 per night!! and during the peak season!

I'm not sure why (maybe someone could tell me) but the rate was initially 30,000 per night. Once I logged into my account, that rate dropped to 25,500!, an awesome value in my eyes.

Cheers and Happy Traveling!

22. royce242

royce242 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah nevermind. I noticed that I'm silver so I get a 15% discount. Cool.

23. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You got a discount since it applies the GLON award anytime you book online for 4 - 14 nights or more for a category 3 or higher property and have HHonors elite status.

Here's a good review specifically of the GLON awards but these will likely be irrelevant once the new award chart kicks in.
    http://boardingarea.com/blogs/dealswelike/2012/09/27/utilizing-hiltons-glon-vip-awards/

B1BomberVB and autolycus like this.
  24. yasssmina

yasssmina Member

Status Points:
    I used my points for:
    - 11 nights in Conrad Maldives at 37500 per night
    - 2 night at Conrad Koh Samui at 50000 per night
    - 7 nights at Hilton Phuket at 18750 per night

25. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that all one trip? If so, I'm very jealous!