Where To Stay

Discussion in 'Washington, DC' started by Captain Oveur, Jan 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    This might be a hotel question too.

Have the choice between point stays at The Hilton or the Washington Marriott (Metro Center). Looking at doing the usual tourist stuff, White House, Smithsonian, Newseum, National Mall, etc, during Cherry Blossom Festival time.

Are those hotels the best location, or should I be closer to somewhere else?

Newscience likes this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll do just fine at the Washington Marriott. Since the DC Metro system works pretty darn well - you can buy day passes on it and travel endlessly for each day for $14, see: http://www.wmata.com/fares/purchase/passes.cfm you can travel pretty handily on the Metro if you need to get anywhere special from your hotel.

But there's no lack of good/fun/boutique hotel choices in D.C.:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g28970-Washington_DC_District_of_Columbia-Hotels.html

Just be sure to wear some good walking shoes to be able to comfortably see all those sights in D.C.! ;)

Captain Oveur likes this.
  3. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Courtyard at 9th and F or the JW are probably the best located hotel of the Marriotts, but the Washington Marriott is not bad being a few blocks further away from the main tourist areas. The Hilton is near Dupont Circle which is a neighborhood with restaurants, bars etc but several stops on the Metro away from the tourist destinations. The Hilton is also a large convention hotel. I would look on review sites like Trip Advisor for current reviews. The Hilton Capitol, the Hampton Inn and the Hilton Garden Inn are not bad locations near the White House. The Willard Intercontinental is also well located near the JW.

I would disagree with Newscience on the daily pass. You may end up paying more. Look at how many trips you are going to take. A smart trip card may turn out to be a better value. Paper cards cost $1.00 more per trip so if you are going to take more than 5 trips that pays for the smart trip card.

Captain Oveur likes this.
  4. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking at maps the Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill looks to be in a good location to the downtown sights. Would folks here agree? I'm leaning toward a Hyatt property for using points.

5. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok neighborhood. Kind of boring at night and a little walk to the Metro. Hotel gets ok reviews on Trip Advisor. The Grand Hyatt is closer to more restaurants in Penn Quarter and is also a little walk to the Metro. Park Hyatt gets better reviews but is farther away from the normal tourist haunts and I assume more points.

flyingdawg likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Grand Hyatt was under construction a year ago; hopefully that's been completed now. It is also where someone claiming to be "security" from the hotel walked in to my room unannounced and was quite surprised to find me in there. Not sure what his real plan was but I doubt it would have been to my benefit had I not been in the room.

I really don't like the Washington Hilton. I'd rather stay at the Hampton Inn near the Convention Center (and used to all the time even when work would pay for the Hilton) if you want an HHonors property. I like that neighborhood.

flyingdawg likes this.