Where to Stay in San Diego?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by zshanlon, Jan 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Im taking Mrs. Zshanlon to San Diego for her birthday in February. Im thinking I want to use one of my Hyatt Suite upgrades. Where should I stay? If not a Hyatt then I am leaning toward a SPG or Hilton. Its a toss up at that point. I have better perks with Hilton (free breakfast & internet) but obviously SPG points are more valuable.

What say you?

2. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Manchester Grand Hyatt is probably not the most luxurious property, but I like the location and the hotel's pool and spa are excellent. Not sure about the pool in February though; it's outdoor.

3. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed there back in the summer and I wasn't really impressed but it was for a business meeting so I didn't do much exploration. It is close to gaslamp which is good. Do you know anything about their spa? I want to treat my lady good.

legalalien likes this.
  4. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't personally used it, but my wife enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a full-service spa overlooking the pool and the harbor, as I recall. The hotel itself is not great, I agree, though I have only stayed there on business, too.

If you're not set of earning or using points, Hard Rock is pretty cool. W is cool, too, but slightly away from the action of Gaslamp. I haven't stayed at the Hotel del Coronado on Coronado, but it could be a romantic option.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the Manchester, but it is a large convention hotel.

The W is an infamous party scene but not the best location.

Also SPG, the US Grant is a historic property which is lots of fun.

There's an interesting boutique hotel in a slightly better location that would be a good compromise between the W and the US Grant. It seems to have a popular bar as well as a good foodie restaurant. Unfortunately I do not remember the name.

Would you perhaps like to stay in La Jolla instead of San Diego proper?

zshanlon likes this.
  6. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or Del Mar, where there is a decent Hilton.

7. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Im open to anything as long as it isn't cost prohibitive. Is La Jolla far from the things you would want to do in San Diego? I mean, will I have to take a cab or is it walkable? I love my lady friend but we try and live on a budget.

8. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a Platinum, we got a lovely suite upgrade at the US Grant on a Cash and Points stay two summers ago. We really liked the hotel and loved the city.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You would need a rental car

10. Mrs. Peel

Mrs. Peel Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Andaz San Diego is downtown and would be your best use of a suite upgrade. You can eat meals poolside on the roof top. They host parties nightly at the pool on weekends. It is modern and very hip with excellent food. If you book the AAA Breakfast Rate it would be very reasonable. You would not need a cab to get around. The Torrey Pines Hilton is beautiful with stunning views but removed from alot of activity.

YULtide likes this.