Where to spend New Year's Eve in Australia?

Discussion in 'Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific' started by jmrich1432, May 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am planning a trip to visit my brother in Australia over Christmas and New Year's this year. He lives in Melbourne (almost a year now) and will have almost the entire time off while I am there so we can travel around. I have been thinking about NYE recently, and realized we probably need to figure it out if we want to get a hotel somewhere.

My question is, where should we spend it? Sydney was my first thought, overlooking the harbour. Is there somewhere better? Besides Sydney and Melbourne, we will probably make a trip to Tasmania and the rest is up in the air.

Any suggestions for where to go, what to do during this time frame are also greatly appreciated! Thanks, MP!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sydney would be special but very crowded.

Another idea would be NZ, in order to have the thrill of celebrating NYE first (according to the ordering of time zones).

I love Melbourne. If you have access to a car, don't miss the Great Ocean Road. It's touristic, but I liked the penguin parade. There are places along the way to see Aussie wildlife (some small zoos and an area where birds nest). I like to visit a zoo or aquarium in Australia whenever I have the chance. Of course, do some wine tasting. Mornington Peninsula is lovely, although some of their wines aren't well regarded. (Hunter Valley is a long day trip from Sydney or perhaps better enjoyed in two or three days.) Be sure to explore different neighborhoods of Melbourne, including the seaside communities and the area around the university.

Remember that Australia can be hot at this time of year. Try to book hotels with AC; some modest places in Melbourne and south seem to have only heat rather than AC. I liked Brisbane and the great barrier reef too, but I think it's better during the southern hemisphere's winter.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips! While in Melbourne, I will be staying with my brother who lives near the university and will also have access to a car. I definitely want to do the Great Ocean Road! My brother has spoken very highly of it and the pictures look fabulous. Wine tasting and animals (though not necessarily together) are high on my list.

NZ would be fantastic and I certianly want to get there on one of these trips to visit. It would be cool to be one of the first ones into the New Year! Is there anywhere in NZ that you recommend in particular? My brother has only gone over once (to re-activate his visa) and didn't see much of the country.

My brother and I are young (22 & 24) so I don't think the crowds would bother us if it's a "life time experience" type thing to see NYE in Sydney. If it's just masses and masses of tourists it may be another issue. Have you been for NYE? Does anyone have first-hand experience on if it's as great as people seem to think??

Thanks again for all the tips and suggestions. I love planning trips and I really appreciate the input!

4. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    NYE in Sydney will be very crowded. I'd suggest you look for accommodation now and prepare to pay. In terms of fireworks, people start camping out for best spots in the morning of NYE.

In terms of NZ, if you're there, you need to be in Gisborne to be at the first place to see the new year in. If you're to be in a NZ city, you may as well stay in Melbourne.

thewinchester and jmrich1432 like this.
  5. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    SYD/MEL is fine for NYE in Australia. What Leumas said is right on the money. SYD gets booked up very quickly for NYE, and prices go through the roof around that time.

If you're looking for additional suggestions on what to do in SYD and MEL, this recent thread should give you some really good ideas.

Leumas and jmrich1432 like this.
  6. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the tips! I am prepared to pay, if the experience is going to be worth it. Is it like seeing Times Square on NYE? Although not high on my list, something I feel like I should do at one point. I've been looking and SYD is already getting very full. Either way, I will be in Australia, I just want to make the most of being on the other side of the world by picking an awesome place for NYE!

Thanks for the link to the other thread, thewinchester. I am reading through, getting some ideas! Although this will be my first trip over, it certainly won't be my last (there may be a wedding to attend a year from now!)

Thanks again everyone!