Where To Go To/From Paris?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Pizzaman, Dec 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm trying to put together a summer itinerary for travel with our two kids, aged 8 and 3. My daughter got to spend a couple days in Paris earlier this year and wants to go back, so we plan to either start or end in Paris, but use planes or trains to do one or two other destinations.

We've done a good portion of Italy except for Milan/Tuscany.

My wife and I have done London and Barcelona.

Any recommendations on destinations the kids would enjoy spending a few days in? I've spent time looking at Luxembourg, Brussels, Amsterdam, Germany and can't decide what to check off the list next.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Brussels / Antwerp was a lot of fun and pretty walkable when I last went, but I wasn't lugging kids around.

Lionell and uggboy like this.
  3. I love London but seen you been. Have not been but berlin looks like fun

uggboy likes this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming "few days" mean like two or three and place easily accessible without the kids doing a lot of walking I would recommend Strasburg or Brugge or both if three days.
    Germany might be too far for few days ( I know the kids will love the castles at Neuschwanstein but you need a car to get there)

Strasburg has a great tram system and a station is about block from the Hilton.

uggboy likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Paris and southern France (e.g., Camarque, Provence)? Or does it have to be major cities?

6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yup, Brussels is intriguing.

We thought about London, but that would mean not checking off any new boxes on our list of places to visit, and we'd kinda like to do that.

uggboy likes this.
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Probably 2 or 3, but could stretch it further since we're planning on summer time. But, probably not more than 4 or 5 days in any one place. That gives us a minimum of two places, transit and some free "meltdown" time to let the kids catch their breath.

I'd like to consider other major cities for two reasons. One is the desire to knock off some of the great major cities we haven't visited. The other is that the Tour de France runs through southern France and I'd like to not have to worry about planning around that.

uggboy likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto for Brussels, we loved Bruges too, plus Antwerp, Amsterdam, Luxembourg, Toulouse, Nice. In the UK, why not try Birmingham or Manchester. We would also add Berlin or Leipzig as possibilities, how about Switzerland, we loved Zurich and Geneva. Wouldn't hesitate to visit again. Cheers and Enjoy.

viguera and AdamEfimoff like this.
  9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    uggboy, any thoughts on Luxembourg with kids?

uggboy likes this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't have kids, but Luxembourg is beautiful, it's walkable, it's safe, we saw parks, the new town and the old town. It's family friendly IMHO. Offers some spendid views and the city has beautiful green spaces, it's devided into the old and new town by a valley. The train station is in the heart of town. We took the train from Brussels and enjoyed it, plus the airport, Findel is small, ideal for fast in / fast out, from the airport with taxi, only 10 minutes into the city proper.

viguera likes this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget Switzerland, Lake Geneva is beautiful, again lots of green spaces and I can remember lots of fun activities around the lake there. Ideal for a few days with kids. Zurich equally is beautiful, the lake, friendly people and of course chocolate. All two cities are safe and walkable. Good connection via air and train from all over Europe.

viguera likes this.
  12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Was thinking about Switzerland as well. Trying to decide between Geneva and Zurich. I've spent one day in Zurich and never been to Geneva.

uggboy and viguera like this.
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah if you're doing 2-3 days and you're not flying I'd do TVG to Brussels. They have overnight trains I think and they're not too pricey if you book online in advance.

We did the train business from Eindhoven all the way down to Brussels and it was OK, but we had time to kill and nothing to do (we were there for a wedding in Eindhoven so that was our starting point after AMS)

I don't think you'll have enough time to enjoy anything in Germany or even Luxembourg if you don't use an LCC and fly. The hours can add up on the train, unless you're thinking of doing an open jaw? Maybe come back via Vienna or Zurich?

uggboy likes this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    lol apparently great minds think alike

uggboy likes this.
  15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Sorry, should have clarified. I'm thinking open jaw and completely open to LCCs along with trains. That's part of the problem. When you consider those variables, there are SOOOO many places to go.

uggboy likes this.
  16. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    All two cities are beautiful, all two have a lake and are walkable, good air, beautiful architecture and fascinating aspects, from watches in Geneva to chocolate in Zurich, plus all two are well connected incl. trains and planes. Since you haven't been to Geneva, why not give this city a try?

Pizzaman and viguera like this.
  17. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    When thinking this way, the whole of Europe opens up from Paris. It's all about flexibility, it's full of adventure and discovery.

Pizzaman and viguera like this.
  18. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then there's no question that Geneva is your place, although I think it's too far of a train ride considering how cheap some of the flights can be had.

The IC there is fantastic as well.

uggboy likes this.
  19. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's IC in Geneva, it's Park Hyatt in Zurich, at the IC, a bus is maybe needed, while from the Park Hyatt in Zurich, nearly everything is walkable. From Geneva, they're many possiblities to explore more incl. nearby towns in day trips around the lake. Same could be said for Zurich, here the capital Bern would be a possiblitiy it's around 2h one-way by train. Fascinating oportunities open up here.

20. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I think we might still try and manage the train at some point because my son is a huge train fanatic. He loved the ride from Rome to Venice this summer.

uggboy likes this.
  21. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I stayed at PH Zurich and loved it. Would definitely return if we ended up there.

alfagirl and uggboy like this.
  22. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, we loved our stay at the Park Hyatt Zurich too, a beautiful hotel. You could combine Zurich with a visit to Bern, around 2h by train away. There should be some magnificent views to be had. While around Geneva, visit some lovely towns around the lake, all accessible via train. Very scenic.

viguera likes this.
  23. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Geneve CFF is literally within spitting distance of the IC. And that's a 3 hour train ride to Zurich, so doing both is doable if you adjust your schedule a bit.

uggboy likes this.
  24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take her to Bruges. The beer selection is spectacular. ;)

[​IMG]

I didn't find Geneva itself particularly impressive or entertaining but the area around it very much is. Whether it is the history of Laveaux or the mountains on the French side there is plenty to see for a couple days.

With kids in tow I'd also consider the canals and windmills of Amsterdam and the Low Country as a fun visit. Check out the Mill Network at Kinderdijk-Elshout as one option near Rotterdam. You can take the ferry out to the windmills and such.

alfagirl, daninstl, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  25. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I absolutely love Amsterdam, and if you've never checked it off of your list, I would seriously consider it. No particular comment on it as kid-friendly destination, but a great place. Ask if you want more specific suggestions. For a lower-key and closer Dutch city, consider Maastricht.

Other thoughts: if you're up for driving, a road trip in southern Germany could be fun: castles for the kids, etc.

Pizzaman and uggboy like this.