Where to Get the Best Steak in Sydney

Discussion in 'Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific' started by NileGuide, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. A few decades ago, there were only a few types of restaurants in Sydney, and steakhouse was the most ubiquitous. Now that endless variety has been injected into the dining scene, it’s easy to forget that there are still some excellent places to enjoy a darn good steak – classically or more modernly prepared.
    Prime is definitely one of the best steakhouses and even general restaurants in Sydney. Situated in the lower floor of the Westin Hotel, Prime is within short distance of most places in central Sydney. Everything here is top of the line, from the service to the food and wine selection. As with any true steakhouse, the menu is all about the beef. It all comes from New South Wales, and you can pick just about any cut you can think of. You may feel like you know your steak more than you ever thought possible after looking at the menu, which provides information about exactly where the cows were raised, what they were fed, and more. Another plus is the long and varied list of Australian wines, helping you find the perfect pairing for your meat.
    A restaurant with a wider focus is Chophouse, where things still lean decidedly carnivorous. Not only does the menu tell you where your beef came from, but it also gives you the origin and diet of your pork and lamb. There are even animal bones used as decor to make sure you don’t forget that this place is meat-centric. The salads, though, are surprisingly good, so make sure to begin with one – even it means you’ll be taking most of your steak home in a doggy bag! This tends to be one of the main places that business folk choose to impress a client or make a deal, so be prepared to be surrounded by suits.
    For a combination of two of the world’s great steak cultures, try Gaucho Grill. Here, the flavors of Argentinean cooking meet the high quality of Australian beef. A specialty of Argentinean barbecue houses like this one is the meat platters, such as the Tres Lomos (choice of three different meats) served at the Gaucho. The stars of the menu, though, are of course the steaks. Served with traditional hot chimichurri sauce and cooked to rare perfection, this is a little slice of Latin heaven in Sydney. Other traditional dishes on the menu (such as empanadas) are also quite good.
    [photo courtesy of avlxyz]

Continue reading...

ThatJohn likes this.
  2. TravelBearTX
    Original Member

TravelBearTX Silver Member

Status Points:
    An easy winner (for both Melbourne and Sydney) - is the Meat & Wine Company.... Located in Darling Harbour in Sydney, and Southbank in Melbourne.

Consistently great Grainfed as well as Grassfed steaks, awesome South African Sausage (Boureworx - although I may be misspelling it) - and Peri Peri Prawns (which I believe have just been updated with a new, and tasty too, flavour of chili).

Can honestly say - in over 3 years of dining at these places monthly, if not twice-monthly, never, ever had a bad steak. (service has been slow on a few occasions in Southbank - but otherwise - top notch place to sample steaks)!

bluesky and ThatJohn like this.
  3. Bizi
    Original Member

Bizi Silver Member

Status Points:
    We should set up a dinner! I'd guess there would be a few people interested in coming along.

I'm always happy to read a review from someone who really is into great steaks.

Thanks for the review and please, keep up the updates, since the experience at any restaurant is prone to change and decay if not managed properly. :)

ThatJohn likes this.
  4. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely agree with Prime and the Chophouse - both a bit pricey though.

ThatJohn likes this.
  5. jonman21
    Original Member

jonman21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been back to Sydney in a couple of years, but when I studied there for a semester in 2003, the $5 steaks at Slip Inn on Sussex St. were SUPER popular with me and my friends. Not the best cut of meat (obviously, but for $5, what can you expect?) - but it was very tasty and served with yummy mashed potatoes with gravy. Great for the college budget. I wonder if they're still good...

Bizi likes this.
  6. rjb
    Original Member

rjb Silver Member

Status Points:

You are more likely to get a cheap pizza there these days

Bizi likes this.
  7. Bizi
    Original Member

Bizi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the $5 price war in Sydney city pubs was great while it lasted. :)

If, however, you are interested in visiting Hunter Valley wine country and finding the best (sweetest!) Aussie burger, then I can help you... :)

Steaks there for $12, too...when they are $40++ elswhere in the area. ;)

8. Bizi
    Original Member

Bizi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can get you a pizza, by the water, Monday nights only though, probably 18" and $12!!!

It is QUITE a big job to eat it all!

How's this relevant? It's the Meat Lovers variety and it's almost a steak on top of the pizza...hence the task of consuming one, oneself!

milchap likes this.
  9. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    They were in 05 as well.

10. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kingsley's steak house in King Street is always consistent.