where to get most miles for ipad purchase?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by cotter77, May 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    checked out AAdvantage shopping and offers only 1 mile per $1 for apple store.
    i thought some other places offer more miles than that?
    any suggestions?

savydog likes this.
  2. dildooba44

dildooba44 Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. dildooba44

dildooba44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just in case, be sure to go to Macmall through your computer and the AA.com and not my link. I only put that up there so you can see it's true.

4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Actually MacMall and JR.com both offer three miles per dollar from AAdvantage shopping mall and you can also do better than one mile w/ Mac Connection at two miles per dollar ... BUT these actually do not work. iPad purchases at all these vendors, even on the AAdvantage mall require you to physically call them to place your order and that negates the online AAdvantage cookie that tracks and gives you miles. I've tried a few ways to work around this to up my own miles for IPad purchases but so far I haven't any luck. So make sure you know the fine print because you may end up with no miles at all. Works great for other types of Apple products, just not the iPad.

I use the WebFlyer tool to research the different options:
    http://webflyer.com/deals/mileage_mall/index.php

Both American Express and Continental malls offer 3 and 2 miles for Apple purchases BUT iPad 2 purchases are ineligible for bonus miles. Bottom line ... IPad 2 purchases have foiled many of us for anything more than one mile per dollar/ two miles or slightly more if you include a credit card bonus.

5. marathon man
    Original Member

marathon man Silver Member

Status Points:
    hmmm good to know, Randy... but that being said, couldnt one buy something else from apple at the store and then like ask a CSR to swap? Or, in the case of some stores that let you buy online and pick up in store such as Best Buy, maybe something like this would be possible. I have no idea, and it probably would not work due to some policy or something, but it would be worth looking into.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good info... seems like Apple's retail iron fist wins again. :)

Couldn't you get gift cards through the e-shopping mall with an earning card though? That should count for something... maybe better than 1:1 in the dollar/mile area. :)

7. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Tried that ... The cart tag on the initial purchase appeared as a refund (minus miles) against new purchase w/ no miles. CSR insisted they had to refund/charge the transaction which is SOP for most retail chains. Now ... There is the hidden gift certain route through some of these other retailers in which it doesn't matter if the order ends up by phone -- but the iPad seems to be pretty immediate gratification and we have to balance that against the extra 500-1,500 mile bonuses. Darn that Steve Jobs!

santafefran likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Damn... I assume they don't have "order and pick up in store" at places like Best Buy or something? I'd imagine you tried that already though. :)

9. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Buying gift cards for Apple.com/etc. could be a good workaround if you don't mind delaying your purchase to wait for the cards.

10. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    DHahn likes this.
  11. Hmm... how about through another source such as eBay if you can find it for a reasonable price? There should be a lot of sites offering points or cashback for eBay.

12. wanderinghome

wanderinghome Active Member

Status Points:
    If you install AmEx insite (I did for the 10k bonus) it tells me that you get 4x points for shopping at apple.com (with an eligible card, of course- I assume any MR earning charge card fits this req).

Since those are so easily converted to miles it seems like your best option, IMO.

13. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    We were thinking that but AmEx InSite and all other AmEx mall offers exclude iPads in the T&C:
    AmExApple.png

iolaire and Elijah Nouvelage like this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Damn these people wanna make sure you don't earn anything. :)

My guess is the price of the items... or perhaps the fact that you can turn them around relatively easy on eBay and the like. It'd be like buying presidential coins... buy 10 iPads, sell them on eBay at cost, you get your money back and a truckload of points.

15. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    from a practical POV, can't blame them—there were people lined up (and still are) to get the product, the loyalty is to the machine. Why offer an incentive for something that is sold already. That's a practical biz decision. As for us, well ... I did stand in line but yet am still trying to break the code for the rest of us! Think. Different.

Elijah Nouvelage likes this.
  16. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the research. I'm buying an iMac (not an iPad) soon, and this is going to help me immensely.

Too bad they don't give miles for ipads, that would be awesome.

Elijah Nouvelage likes this.
  17. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad this was posted - I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking of buying gift cards at a discount and going that route, so I can save some money in the process.

18. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just bought an iPad2 with CO credit card through CO's shopping portal. 4 miles/$

19. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes I forgot that, the new iPads are not commissionable for affiliates now, there is a very good chance that is across all portals. In the last few years Apple began to stop paying commission on their hottest products well they are in a sold out/line up and wait state, once demand starts to get in line with supply they start paying commission.

20. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    at the apple store link through the CO retail partners portal?
    on that page it says:
    he purchase of Gift Cards, Gift Wrap, One-to-One personal training sessions, the Verizon iPhone 4, refurbished iPads and the iPad2 are not eligible for OnePass miles. Member must stay on the "store" tab to receive miles. Orders placed on any other tab on the Apple site are not eligible.

if you truly got your 4x miles credited to your account i would love to here confirmation

...as this is probably my best bet and i need it ffor a bday in june i will go ahead and order and if i remember to post the result i will

21. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I could almost never get that AMEX inSite to work, the pop-up offer (that tells you how many pts you can receive for making a purchase at certain oneline store) only showed up once. Never got that again no matter I try google search or the offers from inSite login page.

22. wanderinghome

wanderinghome Active Member

Status Points:
    Since I only installed insite for the 10k MR points, (and reports seem to indicate I didn't even need to do that), I'm not exactly clear on how it works. I was under the impression that it simply reminded you when there were bonus opportunities available to you- not that it was the source of the bonus opportunities. A look through the T&C (or maybe a better understanding of what it does) should tell you for sure.

Bottom line, it may not matter whether it "works" or not.

23. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I logged into Upromise just a bit ago, I saw a promotion for a 10% rebate from the Apple Store. Although I'm not in the market for an iPad, I saw this little nugget in the T&C's (emphasis added) and remembered this thread:

IMPORTANT: Purchase of the iPad, iPad 2, and Refurbished iPads are only eligible for a contribution from 5/15/2011 until 5/21/2011. Any iPad, iPad 2 and refurbished iPad transactions that take place after 5/21/2011 are not eligible to receive a contribution.​

Upromise does not require setting up a 529 account - one can simply request a check by mailing in a form (as I do once per quarter). These aren't miles or points but "eligible for a rebate" is likely better than "ineligible for a rebate". ;)

24. DHahn
    Original Member

DHahn Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's worth to check out AT&T wireless online store too. I recently picked up refurb iPad 16GB 3G & Wifi for $329; 32GB & 64GB versions were $429 but they only have 32GB version now.