where to find routing rules for free?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by elkur, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. elkur

elkur Active Member

Status Points:
    Are there any websites that don't require a paid membership to see the routing rules for a specific fare?

I use ITA to search for flights but i believe they only show you the fare rules not the routing rules. Or can you deduct one from the other?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. elkur

elkur Active Member

Status Points:
    just checking: are there no websites for this or is there something wrong with my question?

3. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    PAinNY and cockpitvisit like this.
  4. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you buy your ticket through travel agents, their fare rules could be different from those listed

5. elkur

elkur Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you AmericanGirl and JALPak for your replies.

I've tried this site but it seems to give me the same thing that ITA does. It shows the fare rules but not any specific routings that are possible. Or should i work out the possible routings from the "combinations"-section in the fare rules?
    I was hoping there'd be some site that would have something like for example SMF-OAK-DEN/SFO-LAX.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the airline and agent sites the fare rules are always available through a drop down menu or another type of link. Without paying for it the nearest thing to do is a trial booking to find the fare codes and conditions for the itinerary you seek.

PAinNY likes this.
  7. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been able to find a consistently good source to find fare routing rules for free, which is one of many reasons why I've chosen to pay for access to ExpertFlyer.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin and PAinNY like this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those are fare rules, not routing rules.
    This has been my experience as well, though I didn't bother to subscribe as I generally don't see the value in that information.

9. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, your primary carrier isn't one where maximizing the routing possibilities does much for your mileage balance. ;)

That said, with a focused-enough search on ITA's Matrix, you can find most of the routing possibilities available just by blind searching. If I had to pick one over the other, I'd say ITA is more valuable than knowing the routing rules.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maximizing routing is always valuable. But I agree that simply blind searching on ITA is generally more useful. Because finding the inventory on multiple segments is harder than on the shorter routings I'm inclined to let something like ITA calculate the combinations for me and figure out if there is a fun option available given a particular day and end points that I'm trying to travel on and between. Knowing that I can route via OKC doesn't do me any good if there is no inventory through there on the cheap fare bucket I need.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin and jackal like this.
  11. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here. Trying to get at the routing rules was the reason I signed up with EF in the first place. Now that I'm subscribed, I find so many other places where it's helped me, that I keep it even though I don't look at the routing rules as often anymore.

As Wandering Aramean said, blind ITA searching is quicker since it's easier than checking routing then inventory manually. However, it's still nice to see the routing rules because you can help ITA in its searches.

jackal likes this.
  12. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:

yep, ipad next to laptop at work.