Where to find a cheap RT ticket to break a travel credit

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by monksy, Sep 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. monksy

monksy Member

Status Points:
    I have a large credit thats an canceled international ticket that will be expiring by the 26 Sept. [I can change the flight to any time within 330 days of 26 Sept]

Since I'm not sure about how I will use the rest of the credit, are there any flights that I can book to break the ticket into the flight+the electronic travel credit? I'm aware that I'm going to have to pay the ~$300 fee to break up the ticket (2014 rules on canceled travel) Are there any airports that I should be looking at that would be the cheapest? (If it's MKE I can do a one way due to the train)

I'm based out of ORD.

Another question is: Do I actually have to take the flight? What happens if I don't? Would I end up loosing the remaining ETC?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, you don't need to take the flight. The ETC is wholly separate at that point.

Also, a o/w can work same as a r/t, especially if you can find something in a market with a decent amount of competition on short-haul flights (e.g. intra-Texas/California).

3. monksy

monksy Member

Status Points:
    "Also, a o/w can work same as a r/t, especially if you can find something in a market with a decent amount of competition on short-haul flights"

So that opens up the ticket to anywhere in the US then?