Where To Credit My Hertz Rentals?

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by Pizzaman, Nov 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    For a great number of years I've credited my Hertz rentals to Southwest. Before RR went through it's transformation, there were frequent double and triple credit offers which added up pretty quickly to free tickets. Mind you, I never actually fly Southwest, but these tickets were great to hand out to family members who are a lot less picky than me.

With the change to Rapid Rewards, I'm not sure that's the best place to continue crediting my rentals. Finally got the first double points RR offer in some time recently, so that helps. I'm also not sure RR is NOT the best place to continue coding these points.

Anyone have opinions on which conversion is most valuable for them?

2. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer crediting to vs but agree sw is nice too.

3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    WN is 600 points per rental, right, which corresponds to $5-10 in airfare. Looks like a dollar a day surcharge up to 4 dollars (I don't really participate in either program much so just piecing together what I see).

Leaving out different surcharge rates, that still seems better than the 50 miles a day I think you get for airline miles with most programs for most rental programs.

Would you get $5-10 per rental out of earning hertz points? If not, still seems like Southwest is a reasonable option.

4. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to credit to the program that offers the best return. As an example, two recent rentals with hertz. One with Aeroplan netted about 3500 points, the other with US Airways 300. I should have credited both to Aeroplan logically, but needed a hit for the grand slam.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone finds crediting to hertz gold points is a better return?

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'd be interested in hearing the profit story behind leaving them with Hertz. I never have, as I generally just pay to rent my cars when I travel on vacation.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I often use miles from rentals to keep dormant accounts alive. Recently, though, I have built up a small balance of Hertz points because they had some sort of promo offering 100 points per rental day (I don't even know what their regular earnings rate is). I plan to use them on occasions where rentals for cash are outrageously expensive such as an upcoming 12 hr rental in Waikiki (one-way from hotel to airport to catch the red-eye, using the car to tour the island over the course of the day). They wanted $120 for the car, and I think I am paying 1200 (?) points. 12 rental days, or $10/day discount. Not great, but ever since BMI dropped Hertz I have found it hard to find good values.

7. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I credit my rentals to Virgin Atlantic they give 1100 miles and over the course of the year I get around 60,000 miles. I tend to use these miles for intra-island flights in Hawaii a round trip is 9,000 miles in First Class or 37,500 miles for a J ticket (one-way) on Air New Zealand from LAX to LHR.

8. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the vs website nz awards are rt. You must be a friend of branson.

9. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just use hertz retiree code 028890 which gets 40 % off. Earning miles is the way to go.

lisamcgu likes this.
  10. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Similar to the OP, most of my rentals used to go to Hertz under the old 3x/4x WN promotions. I do take the Hertz points on most reservations now, as there are few compelling offers. One rental each year keeps my VS account active but it's nice to have a bank of points when you have to travel on a holiday and the average rental car is coming back in the $70-$100/day range (looking your way, BWI/DCA/IAD). Those are the types of rentals when the payback on the points is seen (at the standard level).

Plus, one doesn't get tagged for the FF mile excise tax if taking the points...

11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I just lit the last of my WN points on fire (actually had to buy the minimum amount to top off one last award). The 60 points per dollar for Wanna Get Away fares kinda blows.

I took another look at AA. Assuming I could ALWAYS get double miles (no guarantee), I'd average about 450-500 miles a rental. That's not horrible.

But, using the "average" domestic ticket price in 2011 of $247, that means I would need 25 rental credited to WN to earn a free ticket vs. 45-ish for AA. And, that assumes no bonuses for WN, which have been harder to come by since the program changed.

I'm seriously thinking about AA or the VS option. If I'm only earning one ticket a year on WN (about what I should average), that doesn't have much value. I usually burn these points for tickets for family members, and almost always in pairs or quads. So, having extra fuel in another account seems the way to go now that WN has come back to the pack a bit. At least I have the flexibility with something else to combine the points and put them to use more quickly.

Thoughts? How much does the value of the WN point go down if it takes me a year or more to accrue enough to use them?

12. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I credit them to the hertz program. Living in NYC without a car, the 500 point weekend rental day option is worth a ton. Normal rates are about $100+/day. I live walking distance and have gotten really nice cars. I got a brand new buick regal (36 miles on the odometer) and a low mileage Suburban for another trip.

13. Liucoke

Liucoke Silver Member

Status Points:
    I found that I'd somehow accumulated enough points there for a one-way day (can't say how - I've been attributing to AA for years, so it must have just been random promos I registered for and forgot about) - the taxes, fees and surcharges on Hertz rentals are enough to make a European airline jealous:

[​IMG]

This is on top of 1200 points... which were a terrific deal at $0.13 per point. But it'd be nice to see Hertz adopt the practices of hotels (free = free) or at least US-based airlines(free = a few bucks in taxes). I'll probably continue to credit to AA moving forward.

FlyerChrisK likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used Hertz points for the first time recently for a one-way rental from Waikiki to HNL (last day of stay, red eye back to mainland). I paid about $12 on a rental that would have been around $120, so I was pretty happy. I'll continue to post rentals to the Hertz account unless there is some good promo for another program.

15. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Im booking my rentals to LAN.... I always forget to bother about status with Hertz... if you book your rental points to an Airline, can you still advance in the Hertz game for some sort of status thats worth it...? They seem to give away No. 1 Gold... so whats the point to get further status and more importantly, if I insist of getting airline miles for rentals, can I advance in the Hertz status ladder...?

(not sure Ive asked this question before)... :oops:

16. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes, you can advance up the Hertz status ladder if you credit to airlines. However, having been every level of Hertz status known, I can tell you there's not that much difference. Some stations treat people better than other consistently, others not so much.

17. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks... Ive just signed up again for the program.... I chose to book to airlines, I assume I can still go pick up my car and leave, or...? I booked the reservation being logged into the website with my newly created account... that should do it I assume...?

18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes, that shouldn't make any difference.

19. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to put my car rental bookings into programs that might otherwise lapse due to inactivity (currently, that's BA). Afaik, Hertz doesn't credit to BA, though. I don't use Hertz a lot, but think I used United last time.

20. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    The minimum number of miles depends on the airline, is this right...?

21. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. It's hit or miss for great service treatment as a Platinum but it's always good or great. I Haven't had a bad hertz service experience in...ever.

I'd say as a whole, the larger stations (LAX IAH SFO DEN FLL DTW ORD) are always great. The small stations have always been great too. It's the mid tier that are hit/miss.

On topic, I earn hertz points. Used to credit at CO but decided the hertz points were more convenient and valuable to me. The few hundred miles per rental dont really have too much value when my mileage income stream from other sources (flying and credit cards) is more meaningful.