Where to credit miles BOS-NRT in JAL J

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by Muerl, Jul 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would be first off to be clear I am asking this question at the behest of my wife who's business is actually paying for the flight for her.

Right now neither of us have any status with any airlines.

She has some QF miles (12k) and some BA Miles (55k) I have about the same for those and a large amount of AA miles.

For the next year we have some Award travel with BA miles on AA booked and some rev flights on UA. Beyond that we likely will be redeming the AA miles for something special, and the BA miles For some domestic US flights.

My instinct is to have her do a Platinum Challenge for AA which a round trip BOS-NRT would easily clear and credit the miles there. Since she is eligible for an AA card and we have alot of AA miles already to spend status would make that nicer at least, I think it would :)

Is there a better way to go about this? Part of me thinks "this would be enough miles to do SOMETHING with QF" or even "is there a OneWorld version of A3 for domestic lounge access"

Is there an angle that I am missing here?

Thank you

2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be careful doing the Platinum Challenge -- recently, JL flights do count, but I'd check with AA that the flight you're looking at will qualify (since it costs $240 to do the PLT challenge).

Also, discount I fares on JL earn only 80% miles on AA, while C/D/J/X fares earn 125%. That's a difference of about 6K miles right there on AA.

She'd earn the 10K points on the BOS-NRT flight on any business fare, so would have PLT on the NRT-BOS return. With a J ticket, it doesn't help much with lounges, but you'd get another 6700 miles on that flight thanks to the PLT bonus. Those 6700 miles can easily be worth $125 to you, so it just needs to be seen if the rest of the $ spend on the PLT challenge is worth it in terms of extra mileage and benefits. PLT would be good through 2013, and AA currently has a soft landing, so GLD through 2014 may be possible.

I think AA miles are much better for redemption than QF or BA for certain premium international awards, if that's what you're saving for. Your 12K QF miles aren't orphans since they can be redeemed for short flights (http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/program/usingPoints/pointsTables#jump2) but I'd earn on AA over QF.

As for OW version of A3 for domestic lounge access ... nope. You need at least Sapphire on OneWorld to access lounges, but it'd be easier to just get an AMEX Plat for AA/AS lounge access. A3 is great since UA clubs can't be accessed with AmEx.

3. gamecock

gamecock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Make sure that the ticket os booked as an AA flight. A JL flight number will not help your wife's quest to earn enough points to reach status.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As noted above, the challenge letters issued lately have listed JL/BA/IB/QF flights as eligible for earning the points needed to meet the challenge, regardless of code-sharing. This is probably because those four airlines currently enjoy ATI with AA.

OP should still check the language of the letter provided by AA during the challenge to confirm though.

anabolism, rwoman and gamecock like this.
  5. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I called the Aadvatage support desk twice about this, and both time they seemed convinced that while flights which are booked on JL/BA/IB/QF metal would count, but only if they were booked on the AA code share :(

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As noted, the challenge language has changed on occasion. Until you sign up and get your letter, you might not know what is being offered.

7. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Either way, BOS-NRT in J should be a great flight. While JAL's J is not great (two-abreast wedgie seats without much storage), the 787 is a terrific plane, and JAL has enough unique touches to make it a really nice experience. I flew NRT-BOS just after the service launched, and loved it. The higher air pressure and humidity of the 787 made a significant difference in how I felt -- Boeing wasn't making that up. JAL had a lot of special things for the route, including signage and unique menu items. JAL's lavatories are super, with an automatic toilet (just wave your hand and the lid closes and it flushes) featuring a washlet if you're the type to go #2 on board.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying BOS-NRT in December, I'm hoping it still has that "new plane" smell. :)

anabolism likes this.