Where To Credit Cheap First Class Fares On United

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Apr 13, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    Last June, United had a fare mistake sale in which they sold First class tickets between Boston and Seoul for about $1,700. While not as deep a discount as United's recent Great Dane (not honored) or American's Beijing fares (honored), it still represented significant savings over retail. Of course, I'm not sure who would ever pay that to fly first on United, but regardless, this was a pretty good deal. A good friend of mine Ben (not that Ben!) lives in Boston, so we we decided to take a joint trip with our families to Korea. At the time of booking, United still awarded miles based on distance flown. They also had class of service bonuses for premium cabin travel -- for A fares such as these, the bonus was 175% or 250% depending on whether it was a 2- or 3-cabin plane. That means that a General Member such as my friend Ben, would have earned 37,784 United miles for the standard Boston - San Francisco - Seoul round trip. Then United announced the switch to revenue-based earnings beginning March 1, 2015, at which point this trip to Korea suddenly became a lot less lucrative. Instead of earning nearly 38,000 miles, it will now earn about 7000 if credited to United. Ouch! I mean, the trip is still a good deal, just not what it once was. Now Ben is looking to me for advice on where to credit the miles other than United. And I'm realizing that there isn't a clear-cut answer. The post Where To Credit Cheap First Class Fares On United appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...