Where to crash?

Discussion in 'BOS/MHT/PVD | Boston Area Airports' started by Jeff Deatherage, Jun 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Where to crash for 5 hours tween 11pm and 5am at Providence airport?

savydog likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

Do you mean to stay at the airport? If so, check out the sleeping in airports website and be sure to check that this airport stays open 24/7. Otherwise, you might look for reviews in the various hotel chain fora for properties near the airport or easily accessible downtown.

3. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.sleepinginairports.net/

Previously I have only used it for horror stories but scheduling issues may have me overnighting at BOS later this year. Unfortunately there are no entries for PVD yet.

savydog likes this.
  4. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did BOS last year. It blew. :) They kick you out of the secure area. Luckily there are some hard benches with armrests before security.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  5. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    The runway?

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is the nugget sleeping in aiports did not give me. I am arriving at 1230AM (or later) and am looking at a 530AM departure. Take my time leaving the secure area and I only have 3 hours to kill before checking in again. :)

Anyone have something for the OP in PVD?

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the airport probably closes completely most nights (except when there are delayed flights) for at least a few hours. PVD is relatively small and doesn't have much in the way of international or red-eye flights. My bet is that they would make you leave even the landside part of the terminal and trying to hang around somewhere like the parking lots or bus stop would risk a minor criminal charge.

You might want to try asking The Boat via private conversation. He travels through PVD a lot and should know for sure.

I don't think Providence has any extremely late bars. I don't think you can hang out in the bus station in the middle of the night without a bus ticket, which almost means that downtown streets with the homeless is what's left. If you try to rent a car, I don't think this would work well with your times either; the car rental agencies are likely to be closed when you would need them, especially if your incoming flight is late. Providence can be a pretty rough town so please don't try staying on the streets.

8. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or call the airport to ask.

From their FAQ:
    What time does the airport open?
    The airport terminal building is open 24 hours. For ticket counter hours, please check with the individual airline or rental car agency. Hours of operation for food and retail concessions are available on this website. Additionally, the airport information desk can provide specific times for all.​

9. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had late-in, early-out MRs there and have never been bothered
    in the chairs at bag claim. The problems are: the announcements
    continue all night (not as loud as at some airport, though); the
    chairs have arms between them; and they are intrinsically not
    very comfortable anyway. But earplugs, eyeshades, plus maybe
    the drug of your choice will do wonders.

As far as crashing goes, I hear that an unfenced open field with
    no electric wires nearby is best.

mht_flyer and Gargoyle like this.
  10. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last bit of OT (sorry OP) but I tried my darnedest to remain inside security. They tried to kick me out. I didn' move. Next pass around was BOS 1, SpecialK 0. My time in BOS was the same as yours... wasn't worth hotel.

To OP - some airports WILL let you stay behind security. PIT was a good example of this - I roamed the halls all night - the guards just smiled and waved. Some airports have kid areas that are nice to sleep in - padded benches and all that stuff. GL!

Gargoyle likes this.