Where to check in?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by misterbwong, Jan 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Super-Newbie question but my search skills are failing me. Where do I check in if I'm using US points to fly on ANA (depart) and OZ (arrive)? Do I go to the ANA and OZ counters or to the US counter?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should check in at the same place where a passenger with a ticket paid with money would check in. The fact that you are traveling on an award ticket does not matter.

The normal rule is to check in with the operating (metal, whose airplane it is) carrier, not the marketing carrier in the case of codeshares.

misterbwong and KENNECTED like this.
  3. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    As pointed above it does not matter who sold you the ticket, or whether it is paid by cash or miles. You have to check in by the operating airline of the flight. Same goes to code-share, US flight number operated by UA - you will check in with UA. Usually one cannot redeem miles for code-share flights so that should not be a problem there.

The only time you will need to contact US is if there is a problem with the ticket. Hopefully that will never happen. Within 24 hours of departure it is still the responsibility of the operating carrier to solve any issue with the flight, despite the fact that some of them try to renege that responsibility.

misterbwong likes this.
  4. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome answers! Thanks!!!!