Where to Buy HDMI Cables

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by misman, Nov 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finally venturing into the 21st century with an HDTV. I recall that there was somewhere online that had HDMI cables extremely cheap, but can't find the link. Anyone recall the vendor?

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do a search on Amazon; it's what I did. There are lots of options for HDMI cables under $10. HDMI cables don't work very well over 6 feet. Yes, they sell a few longer than that, but you will still not be able to find one that snakes across the entire room. Beyond 6 feet there is a lot of signal degradation. Gold plating and whatnot that some companies provide are not really worth the added cost. If you are scared away by the dirt cheap options for $2-3, spend $20 and feel safer (I did) but don't spend $100 and think you're somehow getting something 5X better. I have a no-name cable and it's never had a problem.

While you're at it, if you have a Mac you should buy an HDMI to DVI adaptor. Again, I went with something that cost twice as much as the cheapest option, which meant I spent maybe $6 instead of $3. These are not expensive items.

misman likes this.
  3. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amazon is a good place to check. Also have a look at http://www.meritline.com/ they have sales every once and a while. Picked up a HDMI cable for a $1 and free shipping.

4. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tivoboy, catgirl, emajy and 1 other person like this.
  5. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite a few HD TVs and also flat sceen Monitors have a HDMI cable included. Make sure you didn't over look it.
    eBay isn't to bad a choice either.

misman likes this.
  6. I also recommend monoprice.com. Bought from them before, good quality and great price.

emajy and misman like this.
  7. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to all. I think monoprice.com is the one I was looking for. I haven't actually bought the TV yet... waiting for the CC to cut so I can float the $$ a little longer ;) , but I wouldn't be surprised as I'm buying from Costco which always has "extras" in their packaging.

I think I'll only need two: one for the Blu Ray, and one for the PC.

8. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you need HDMI cables and can't wait for shipping, Big Lots seems to be the best source. $12 for a 6-foot and $18 for a 10-foot; they seem to be getting other options as well these days.

Anyone who pays $80 for an HDMI cable at Best Buy et al is insane these days.

misman, catgirl and KyRoamer like this.
  9. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also suggest Monoprice. I buy lots of stuff from them.

misman likes this.
  10. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try eBay. I never got a bad product. Use US sellers if you have a US address unless a two to four week wait is acceptable. Hong Kong product often ships free and is usually as good or better than product shipped (usually sourced overseas anyway) from the US.

misman likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll have to check next time I am in an electronics store, but I suspect it's difficult if not impossible to buy an HDMI cable made in the US.

misman likes this.
  12. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    misman likes this.
  13. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bought mine from NewEgg. A 3 pack for around $6 if I recall.

misman likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the OP is looking for a cable for a new HDTV set. Thin, light and easy to pack may not be a concern in that case, and I'd certainly not pay $39 to hook up my cable box or ... to my HDTV.

misman likes this.
  15. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    misman likes this.
  16. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    This what I use and they are pretty good for the price :)

misman likes this.
  17. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    misman likes this.
  18. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 on MonoPrice - I've been buying stuff from them for years and it's always worked out well. All my TV cabling - HDMI, Audio, etc. comes from them.

misman likes this.
  19. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    UPDATE

Got the TV with no HDMI cable, but there was one in the Blu Ray. Since I'm not connecting more than one HDMI item at a time right now, the one is working fine; will get more when I have to (knowing that I don't need to today!)

Thanks again to all

20. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume you just spent $100s if not $1000s on a new TV. Seems pretty ridiculous to not spend another $5 to have a HDMI cable shipped to you so you can watch whatever you want without having to get off the couch.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  21. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    monoprice is the best. I really think all cables are pretty much the same. there MIGHT be some better quality of the physical size of the cable, bend-ability, strength of rubber at the head, etc, but that stuff isn't really important if one isn't swapping them out too often.

What I like about monoprice other than the really cheap prices is that they have cables that go from about 1 ft to 20ft, so I can order cables that are EXACTLY the length I need to get from device to receiver or whatever. My DVR is about 9 inches from the HDMI/receiver. So, a 1.5FT cable is best, but the sony ps3, sits outside the cabinet and needs about a four foot cable to reach. Monoprice has them all lengths.

22. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. Check my post above: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/where-to-buy-hdmi-cables.22387/#post-980997

23. SEABrad

SEABrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Monoprice and Meritline work well.

If not in a rush, keep an eye on Woot or Slickdeals. HDMI deals are frequent, when I got a 2nd HDTV and my PS3, I picked up a 3 pack of 4 footers for like $6 (pretty sure the woot linked to Mono or Merit FWIW)

TAHKUCT likes this.