Where the world’s biggest coffee drinkers live

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sobore, Jan 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://qz.com/166983/where-the-worlds-biggest-coffee-drinkers-live/

[​IMG]

America might be famous for running on coffee, but it doesn’t run on much. Not compared to a handful of other countries, anyway. When it comes to actual coffee consumption per person, the US doesn’t even crack the top 15.

For much of Europe, and especially Scandinavia, the story is quite different. In a review in 2010 about Stieg Larsson’s hit Swedish trilogy, the New York Times wrote incredulously about how the books’ scenes seemed to always revolve around endless servings of coffee:

…everyone works fervidly into the night and swills tons of coffee; hardly a page goes by without someone “switching on the coffee machine,” ordering “coffee and a sandwich” or responding affirmatively to the offer “Coffee?”

Read More: http://qz.com/166983/where-the-worlds-biggest-coffee-drinkers-live/

anileze, Gargoyle, jbcarioca and 3 others like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I only drink two cups a day. I have one at home, which I refill 4 or 5 times, and then one at a coffee shop when I go out, which I usually just refill once.

uggboy, kiwi, jbcarioca and 4 others like this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Looking down the list, I think the study is flawed. Italy is way down the list, at 1/3 the consumption of the US and 1/7th the consumption of the Netherlands. However, I'm guessing they measure by ounces or milliliters, not by caffeine consumption. Since Italians generally drink espresso (or espresso based drinks, macchiato, cappuccino, etc.) the volume of liquid would be much lower. However, the volume of caffeine may well be equal or higher.

uggboy, anileze and jbcarioca like this.
  4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only 4-5 coffees a day for me, unless we're out and stop at a Tim Hortons (Canada) on the way home, in which case it'll be a large double-double to add to the caffeine. That may explain why coffee consumption in Canada is higher then in the U.S. Mrs. blackjack-21, being British, is a tea drinker only at home, but also enjoys a Timmie's when we're out and about.

5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe in every country there will be a subset of people who practically live on coffee as their main fluid intake but against the backdrop of the country in general, it averages out to nothing. It might be more interesting however to see the breakdown of coffee drinkers against profession / trade / industry. Does an accountant drink more or an IT professional drink more etc. It might even show a co-relation to the stress or overtime faced in that industry. ;)

uggboy, anileze, cocobird and 2 others like this.
  6. cocobird

cocobird Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm one of those people who thinks coffee is one of the main food groups. At one point in my late twenties/early thirties, I once counted my coffee intake at 32 cups a day. And no, it didn't keep me up at night. I'm way-y-y down to a more normal and reasonable 3-5 cups a day.

7. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    The right question to ask should have been -
    1.Of all the coffee drinkers, how many cups of coffee do they drink ?

I know many people do not drink coffee, but have endless cups of tea, or chai. Similarly, of the people who drink coffee they brew 2 fresh pots of coffee during the day. Of which, they consume few cups in the morning, and few in the afternoon.

Gargoyle, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  8. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ....as I sip on my coffee now while perusing MP.