Where should I transfer my AMEX Gold Membership Rewards Pts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by SuperW2, May 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ... or should I at all...I don't really have any other trips planned at this point for the rest of the year (other than Maui in July), but thinking about transferring the AMEX MR Pts and then closing the cards.

Have 50K Pts for the wife and 35K on mine (since I took an advance to transfer 15K to Continental to top off for Hawaii Trip in July).

I have 200K British (1:1) now (between wife and I) and would like to take family to Europe in next year or so. I'm basically tapped on Continental/United (1:1) after 4 Tix to Hawaii, I have basically no Delta and rarely fly them.

For Hotels I have HHonors (1.3:1) and *Wood (.333:1).

So not sure if I should transfer to HHonors (which would give me ~100K for me and 60K for the wife), or all into British to help get us to Europe in the next year or so.

Thanks
    SW2

2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would wait. Especially since AMEX will run promo's with Carriers where you get bonus miles for transferring. I've seen instances where you would get 50% more miles transferring to Virgin or BA among others. IMO I would wait until I needed to redeem them, or for a deal that you couldnt refuse.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    There's tremendous value in the flexibility of Amex points to be able to decide where to put the points when you know exactly what you need. Plus with many partners (like BA, CO, DL, AC) they are 'live' meaning the points post either instantly or nearly instantly. You can drop 'em into the account even while you're on the phone making a booking.

I highly value the flexibility and as a result am rarely even tempted by big transfer promos unless I have a specific redemption in mind where the promo will help.

miloki and sagefemme52 like this.
  4. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks... since I don't really have any specific redemption needs in mind, I may just sit tight for a little while. I know the CO needs to be transfered by Aug/Sept if I decide to go that way, but otherwise I don't have immediate needs, and could always jump on a bonus if it made sense (a BA bonus would be nice to try to work up enough pts to get 1st Class EU when we go).

5. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that if you cancell the card to avoid a renewal fee, you will lose the points. So move them first. Someone correct me if I am wrong, please.

6. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    A reason for doing a MR to CO transfer sooner rather than later is that the miles needed for many awards go up on June 15 (from NA to South America and Europe). The RTW redemption in particular is now a relative bargain.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Meanwhile many go down as well, eg US to Asia in premium cabins, US to Europe in premium cabins, etc. though the RTW offer currently available is really quite a good value, sad to see it go.

8. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    The points are forfeited only if the canceled card is your only Membership Rewards-related Amex. So long as you keep one MR-earning card active, all points remain available regardless of which card earned them.

travelingmore and jwsky like this.
  9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    If you must transfer, June/July there's a 50% bonus for transfers to BA...

10. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    BA transfer of 50% bonus runs through July 31st, right? So why hurry right now, unless you really have a trip ready to be booked and there are seats available. Who knows (I am keeping my fingers crossed), maybe there will be a transfer bonus for CO...

Cheers,

PedroNY

11. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did actually transfer over to BA already after the 50% bonus came up. My next big trip will be Europe, although maybe a year or more out, and while I know the fees/taxes can be killers on BA from US, It's going to be cheaper than the airfare itself.

I should easily be at 400K miles combine before we go, which will hopefully be enough to get the whole family (4 people) over semi-comfortably.

12. montacute
    Original Member

montacute Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could someone go into more detail about CO's RTW redemption and what makes it so good? Thanks!