Where should I post - CO or MP for all / some?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by storyteller, Jul 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    Brain hurts! Would folk please assist? I have a few questions, probably already asked by others.

I am One Pass Platinum & matched to Mileage Plus Premier Exec.
    For SMD3 I will be doing the charter in PE. 2360 miles. Triple for PE, so 7080 EQM.
    For the optional European section on LH will probably be in Z. JFK FRA 3851 miles, FRA MUC 193 miles, MUC FRA 193 miles, FRA ORD 4343 miles. My calculations give me 12868 EQM.

Will there be any difference posting to CO or UA? My thoughts are not, unless Platinum gives me more points / miles than Premier Exec.

Second question, for flights SYD - USA, same question. My thoughts are if I post to UA then I will be more likely to get an upgrade, otherwise miles & points would be the same for the UA flight, probably in discount Y. I think all discount Y will post the same as each other.

If I am on connecting flights within the US, do I get treated the same whichever metal is used, whichever site I book on & whichever programme I post to?

If I book flights within the US separate to my international ticket how will it be treated? ie do I get treated the same whichever metal is used, whichever site I book on & whichever programme I post to?

In the big combining of programmes at the end of the year will it look better for me if more of my travel posts to CO?

What would you do? Thanks in advance for assistance.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe for SMD you're going to want to credit the LH Y to UA over CO for 100% credit versus 50%. If you do it in Z I believe the earning rates are the same.

Take a look at http://www.wandr.me/tools/Frequent_Flier_Mileage_Earning_Options.aspx and put in the route and fare bucket. It will tell you the total earning rate for a whole bunch of programs, including the UA and CO status levels you're looking at. I'm working on setting up an option to let you only show certain options in the result but for now you get all of them, including some that you don't want.

Generally speaking otherwise on UA/CO metal credit to the operating carrier for the best chance of upgrades and support during the flight.

storyteller likes this.
  3. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for all the information. And I have been running a lot of possible fares, other than SMD3 through the tool. It's very easy to use & fast.

Wandering Aramean likes this.