Where should I buy an iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by KyRoamer, Sep 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Choices for me are

AT&T (not interested in other carriers as whole family is on AT&T)
    Apple store
    On-line
    Best Buy

I am leaning towards waiting a month and then buying at Best Buy. I'll stay with the 16gb base model.

aptraveler and jbcarioca like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Online for the points via a portal, naturally. ;)

3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish I could do it that way, but INP for me. Oh well.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd wait at least 6 months to let them work out the bugs. Plus you will have a better assortment of cases, plugs etc etc.

aptraveler, IDGflygirl and jbcarioca like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And by then the rumors about the upcoming iPhone 6 will have started ;)

6. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife is an apple fiend. Today she was completely disappointed by the lack of groundbreaking new features/hardware and has told me she's coming on my plan and either getting the Galaxy Note 2 or the S3 on Verizon. It's a VERY thin phone now. I have the Droid Razr Maxx (which came out a month before the S3, otherwise I'd have that also), and it is very thin also (but apparently not as thin as the iPhone 5), which makes it a little hard to manage, since it's less natural to hold in your hand. I cannot imagine what it would be like if it were even thinner.

Wirefly is a good 3rd party seller as well, and typically have good bundle packages on their site.

IDGflygirl and jbcarioca like this.
  7. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which portal do you recommend? Are you talking points beyond those from using a credit card?

8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Find the best price and compare that store at evrewards at at your favorite miles/points shopping portal. Also compare that to direct partner offers on your miles or points website and or course use a mile/points earning credit card. I'm personnally more of a fan of virgin mobile since the plans are non contract and cheaper but you may have to wait for the iPhone 5 with them.

Best buy is an ok choice but if you buy there make sure to also get the best buy reward points ( on top of the miles or points portal) and you may be able to buy online and pick up at the local store which is what I typically do. Cell phones may not be available that way with the contracts, etc.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    On this we will have to disagree. BestBuy are scum and never doing business with them again would be too soon for me.

As to which portal to use, likely the one from your favorite FF program. And remember that getting 2x points from a program you will never actually redeem from isn't as useful as 1x points in a program you have a decent balance in.

10. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too agree with you on Best Buy. I'm not a big fan but it's one of the places KyRoamer mentioned as a perferred place to buy. Personally they are just a brick and mortar showroom for my internet shopping :) They are like Cinderella. I think Christmas 2012 maybe midnight to them and "poof" they will turn into Circuit City.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see this happening in the future as well. Perhaps not this Christmas, but by next year, quite possibly.

jbcarioca and daninstl like this.
  12. Paolo Scuri

Paolo Scuri Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apple store, of course.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Why?

Longer lines and fewer points.

14. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the MR portal gone (where the Apple store was often highest), you have to get a bit more creative about this. If you want to maximize points, you have to consider the third party retailers and see who currently has the highest payout. Also, it has often been the case with Apple that pre-orders don't count for points via online shopping portals. The day the product goes on sale often doesn't count either. The points earning potentially usually starts right after that. Not sure if that is the case this time, but check the terms before assuming the early orders will count.

15. Paolo Scuri

Paolo Scuri Silver Member

Status Points:
    Because you get free shipping.
    And you'll get 1 mile per dollar through the AA shopping portal.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    If you want to wait a month and want to sign up for a longer contract with AT&T, there are only limited ways to save money. If you are planning to physically showing up at a store, then I'd go to an AT&T store or authorized AT&T dealer. Just make sure to call them, make sure they have the model you want in stock and have them hold a phone with your credit card. Also, most Apple stores not on Park Avenue or Michigan avenue type locations are really not that busy a month after a launch.

Best buy is totally out of the question for me as well. They really are scum and I'm not shopping from them.

I decided to give them one last chance last black Friday. I went online and purchased 3 of the popular items that went on sale that day and was really happy I didn't have to hop around town to get the items. They were available from most competitors in the store, but not online. I actually called Staples and Target and they were available.
    The order got processed, I got charged, eta was 5 days out. Live looked good.
    Two days later, after all the offers with all retailers had ended, I get a cancellation note saying they were out of stock... I was never able to get anyone on the phone and after the 50K people storm of pissed customers had ended, I called their corporate communications. Left 3 messages, they never called back. So I pretty much lost 400 dollars and had to down grade those Christmas gifts :(.

If you want to get the phone online and earn points/miles, I'd just utilize any of the airlines shopping channels. Still waiting for Amazon to offer something in the cell phone space so I can get out of paying the taxes, I guess it won't happen yet.
    If the points are not important (I'm guessing they are or you wouldn't be here ;)) you could just get it at att.com

What did I do? I called my Verizon guy and reserved my 5 and will pick it up down the street, but I want it on the day it comes out.

aptraveler and jbcarioca like this.
  17. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    not for much longer..

http://www.dailydemocrat.com/busine...s-get-ready-amazon-tax-take-effect-california

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/12/t...x-aims-to-keep-its-competitive-edge.html?_r=0

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, I know, I'm still in the clear for a while though (IL). But Amazon Prime with free shipping is still one of the most awesome things out there. ;)

19. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    you mean ip5s

20. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you do amazon be sure to pick up the Hawaiian air miles through that shopping portal if you don't have a better choice.

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    or buy Amazon GiftCards @ Staples for 5xUR

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    One doesn't preclude the other. :)

(I get my Amazon gift cards at my grocery store for 6x HHonors points, since I don't have a 5x card)

aptraveler, jbcarioca and edekba like this.
  23. jeffrey930

jeffrey930 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pre-order online tomorrow for me.

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would pre-order from your preference of Apple or your carrier first using any miles or points credit card you have, if you have one. (I assume most people on here have at least one.)

*disclaimer: i work for a telecom company (which i refer to as my "day job"); when discussing cellular technology, the views expressed are mine and not my employers.

aptraveler, jbcarioca and mht_flyer like this.
  25. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, while MR is a sad loss, there are other ways to get points at the Apple Store, and, so far anyway, Chase hasn't proscribed the iPhone 5 yet. I know for the iPad, pre-orders were no-go.

Here are Chase's current terms for 1 pt./$:

jbcarioca likes this.